Windows Update Issues

Jul 31, 2018
Hey guys, I changed my key registry from C (SSD) to G (HDD) to ensure all the stuff I was downloading, games etc went onto the hard drive. Now when I go to update windows and restart it says it had a problem and reverts the changes. The error code is 0x80070011. After googling this it seems that none of the online answers really helped so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I am trying to avoid doing an update via an ISO, but I will do it if it comes to that.

It might be worth noting I think that the folder that windows is downloading the update to is no longer being located as it's searching in the G drive rather than C (SSD) drive which is where windows is located.

Cheers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
key registry? Do you mean you moved the save location of windows off C and onto G? as that is 1 way to break driver installs, windows update and a bunch of other things that assume they on c when they run commands. Some things are hard coded to assume they on C when they run.

Jul 31, 2018

Yep that's what I did, kicking myself. Is there anyway I can just change it back for the windows files rather than change it all back to C?

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, as with win 10 its all or nothing. Its not granular enough to have 1 save location for windows files and 1 for everything else. It would be nice if it was. they really should let us as its not uncommon to have a 250gb ssd as boot and a multi tb hdd as storage (that is my PC after all). So having ability to move the save location for just program files is a valid desire.
Main reason I don't bother doing that with most applications now, except for with steam games, is that a majority of applications have to be reinstalled when/if windows is ever reinstalled and having them on another drive really doesn't change that. It just leaves you more of a mess to fix after the install.

I don't know what you did to move it or if you can move it all back again without breaking things. We generally tell people not to do this if they want to, as often only fix is a clean install. If you can move it all back without breaking things, go for it but remember, if you swap it back again, every windows update will require you to do this and there are normally at least 1 of those a month.

How big is C drive?

Jul 31, 2018
Yeh I figured, I went back into RegEdit and changed all the locations back to the C drive and then restarted the computer and it updated successfully! I've now changed it all back to G drive and tested a few things, it all seems to be working as it should. Bit of a pain but I guess I'll just have to change the locations back to C drive anytime there is an update :(

C drive is only 250gb unfortunately, will look into a more permanent solution definitely though.
Thanks for your help!

USAFRet

Titan

Well, that was probably the worst thing you could have done.

Do not do this.

For applications, the vast majority allow you to choose where to install it when you install it.
Not force it via a reg edit.

For stuff you download through the browser?
They all give you the option of specifying a download folder. On whichever drive you choose.

For Steam games?
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

For other data like Doc/Music/Video:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Leave that RegEdit junk alone. No good can come from doing it that way.
You got lucky, in that you were able to revert it. I've seen many instances where people couldn't even get back into RegEdit to fix it. The whole OS was borked, and a full wipe and reinstall was the best way to fix.

Again, don't force the location like that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
250gb ssd is plenty enough for win 10 + applications. Provided you move all the big things onto another drive.

So move all the library folders, move onedrive folder, move steam game library (things like uplay, Origin etc also let you move games libraries). About only folder you can't move is users but you can move music, documents, pictures, videos, downloads folders to another place.

this shows how: https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/ (not an attack on intelligence, they just do clear instructions). I would make the destination folders before starting and make sure the location tab path is pointing at that folder and not just a hdd as making entire hdd your documents isn't funny to fix)

MY C drive is only 232gb and yet with only windows + applications installed, I still have 165gb free.

TRENDING THREADS