Backup & Archiving - Cloud, DIY NAS, Consumer NAS..?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to work out a strategy for backing up- and long-term storage/archiving of my data, and could do with some opinions/help.

I have 2 PCs - a Windows 8 one with ~1TB of mostly slow-changing uncompressible data (photos), and a Linux Mint one with <25GB of more changeable data. At the moment they're being backed up to removable drives by manually running a sync program. There are a few issues I can see with this:

• ■ I don't have a backup that isn't at home
    ■ Linux Mint really encourages you to set up automated OS backups with Timeshift, which is a pre-requisite for automatic patching.
    ■ None of the external drives use a resilient filesystem, and are generally off when they're not in use, so don't get "read scrubbed" unless I remember (same for the PCs).

I figure there's a few ways of addressing this:

• ■ Use Amazon Glacier, which behaves like a cloudy version of an off-site tape backup. On the plus side, it's an enterprise-grade solution so it should be resilient, and maintenance is Someone Else's Problem. On the negative side, I'd be committing to an on-going monthly cost in a foreign currency, restores take a while to begin, at some point shell scripting will probably be necessary, and doesn't deal with the Timeshift issue (although I suppose I could use a Raspberry Pi or Intel NUC for that). Also, the initial upload will be painful (I'm on ADSL, so it'll take nearly 3 months at the 1Mb/s I get). Total cost is around $65 per year (including VAT) for 1TB.
    ■ Build a DIY NAS. Obviously, the obvious option is FreeNAS. Unfortunately I'm struggling with ZFS's relatively heavy hardware requirements (16GB of ECC DDR4 is £180) and finding suitable mini-ITX boards, which leaves using Ubuntu Server with BTRFS in RAID-1. This should give me an easy-to-use and relatively expandable and performant backup end-point, with support for snapshots and silent data corruption detection. However, it also means work to set it up and maintain, takes up space I don't really have, and doesn't solve the off-site backup problem. It also represents a not-insubstantial up-front cost of around £390 plus disks (2x 3TB WD Reds run to ~£200), plus power (~£20/year).
    ■ Get a consumer NAS such as a Synology DS218 or DS418. These are more compact than the DIY option, and trade flexibility/expandability and performance for ease of use. Cost is around £280 for a 2 bay unit, or £380 for a 4 bay unit, plus disks, plus power.

So, any thoughts/advice..?

Thanks. :)

P.S. Keeping an external drive at work/relatives isn't an option. :(

USAFRet

Titan
I got a Qnap NAS primarily for this particular function.
4 bay TS-453a.

It has been 100% rock solid in almost 2 yrs of 24/7 operation. Nary a burp.

Read here for procedures:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

A Synology would be just as good.

A cloud solution is sort of good for specific files. But not the entire drive/OS.
And at your ISP speed, not an option.

It's also the main storage for the movie and music libraries.

Looks like a nice unit ... a few models up from the ones I'm looking at, I think. :)

Yeah, from what I've read Synology and Qnap (and Thecus) are somewhat the "go-to" options for a NAS, and all "much of a muchness" - the only reason I was looking at the Synology in preference was the support for BTRFS (to detect silent corruption).

Indeed - the figures I mentioned were for the "important, non-replaceable" user data only. It's surprising how quickly photos rack up when you have a few thousand of them... I wouldn't mind doing what my boss has done (get an LTO4 tape drive and stick the tape in the desk drawer at work), but they're somewhat expensive, and the drives aren't small!

Yeah, it can be annoying, especially when the download rate is normally more than enough (20Mb/s), so the ~30% uplift to FTTC would mostly be to get 10Mb/s up, which I have no need for most of the time...