Driver Booster Messed Up My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

potche

Reputable
May 11, 2016
So, I was playing Black Ops 4 when I realized my audio in-game was kind of broken, it was cancelling out all other audio when there was a loud noise in game playing, my friend on a laptop didn't have this issue, so I assumed it to be my drivers. I looked around on the net and decided to use driver booster.

Now, instead of 3 working usb ports that aren't taken by my keyboard / mouse / ect, I have 2 usb ports on the top of my case that randomly disconnect and reconnect and one on the back that doesn't work. This makes it impossible to play competitive games because I cannot consistently hear anything due to my headphones supposedly physically disconnecting and reconnecting to my PC every five minutes, my microphone also sounds a lot worse ( Blu Yeti )

Is there a way I could uninstall all of my drivers and have windows put in default ones? I didn't have this problem before I updated using Driver Booster 6. I have done the following things.

> gone into device manager, disabled the power option that lets the pc turn off usb ports to save power (?)
> uninstalled all sound drivers
> attempted to roll back drivers
> updated using windows media creation tool

Solution

And stay out of that "Driver Booster" junk.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017

You could roll back the computer to a point before you used Driver Booster, this may bring you back to the point before you used it, but first take a look at the below:

Reinstalling your sound card drivers won't fix issues specifically to do with your peripherals and/or the USB ports.

You'll want to take a look under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager. Check each of the devices on there and see if they are out of date/need updating; this is to do with your peripheral drivers and if they are out of date/not working could be causing issues with the specific devices you are plugging in. You can also check to see if the booster has changed your settings around:

Navigate to Device Manager -> HID (Human Interface Devices) -> See if you can find your peripherals -> Right click on them -> Properties -> Power Management -> Uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

If you can test to see whether other devices work and you find they don't then it's more than likely an issue with your USB ports themselves.

In this case you'll want to take a look under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and check they're not out of date/re-installing them to see if that fixes these issues.

Another thing to look at is in your Event Viewer, see if you have any errors showing that you can find around the time of when this issue is occurring.

Let me know if anything mentioned here fixes your problems.

a lot of those programs are viruis installers. download malwarebytes and do a few free online scans make sure your pc is clean. if you have an intel chipset mb download the intel chipset drivers see if the usb ports come back. if your mb has 3 party chipset download the driver from your mb driver web page. if your mb uses realteck audio chipset download from realteck the newest drivers for your audio chipset. then check in windows sound/real to see if there in game mutting or another setting that can be turned off.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017

All the research I've done on the program indicates that it's a legit program, but you can never be too sure. Also I don't know why you would ever need a program to download drivers for you because that feature is already integrated into Windows by default lol

USAFRet

Titan

"Legit", yes. It doesn't have any built in malware (depending on where you get it)
Breaks more systems than not using it? Yes.

There is no reason to use it, so why use it?

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017

Oh yeah 100% from that side of things, I agree, no point using 3rd party software to do a job already done by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.