Wired network sometimes down at PC startup/wake-up until restart

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
I have been experiencing this issue for many months now, however since it's solved by a simple restart I never bothered to ask about solutions to it. Now that I've started using hibernation function more often, I need to fix it.

Once every 2/3 startups (or wake-ups from hibernation) my internet connection is down (network icon crossed over) until I restart the PC.

Could this be some setting in BIOS? Something interfering with the network card (I have five erroneous 'Unknown device' entries under Other Devices in Device Manager)? Should I disable wi-fi adapter in Device Manager, as I don't use wi-fi?

Here are some screenshots of settings and device information that could be relevant:

Network devices and Other Devices in my Device Manager
Network card setting 1
Network card setting 2

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download and run the Gigabyte App Centre from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170N-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-dl-utility and use it to confirm you have latest drivers for motherboard. IT might be an old lan driver

Generally if a driver doesn't work right until a restart, it means it may not be written for the power modes in win 10. I bet it works fine 1st try if you turn fast startup off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - updating drivers is a better answer than to turning this off unless you have an ssd, then you may not notice a big difference to boot times.

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
Thank you for the reply. I downloaded the App Centre and was notified there were updates available (including for wired network card), which I did install. I have been using Driver Booster 6 to keep drivers up-to-date - should I uninstall that, or are there devices that the App Centre update will not cover so it's best to use both?

Fast boot was already off in BIOS so I kept it that way.

Hopefully this has solved the issue, however I will only know it after a couple of startups.