Need help with best way to access drives across local network

Area52

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
I've always had a problem with this. I've had it work in the past but in a very ghetto/unsafe way, but now that's not even working. I'm sharing my C drive on 2 different comps (permissions set to Everyone. sh*t I know). I have networking sharing turned on both computers, password protected sharing is off. On top off all this I have "Everyone" as a group for the security with full permission on both drives. STILL cannot access folders within the drives after all this, claiming I do not have permission.

I havent been able to troubleshoot this by myself or with any youtube vid, various forum posts, etc.

And after this is said and done. Does anyone know a tutorial, or can help me set up sharing drives on windows properly/safely? Thanks.

Hello Area52

In earlier Windows, you could easily access the C: drive from a remote node using the UNC path and the drive letter followed by the $ sign. The $ sign allows you to remotely access the drives that are by default set for administrative share.

However in Windows 7 and above, you must enable administrative share in the Registry Editor. To do so, you can type REGEDIT in the Search box, press Enter, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, add a new DWORD (32-bit) value, rename it as LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy, and set its value to 1.

Best practice for sharing is:

> Never share C:\ drive on the network.
> Leave Administrative Shares turned off.
> Create a folder instead and share it.
> Set sharing permissions to Full control for Everyone.
> Set NTFS permissions for users and groups individually and as precisely as you want.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!