BSOD While playing high end Games "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Nov 16, 2018
Alright I have got the Following Problem.

If I start playing a Game like Rainbow Six Siege or Batman Arkham Knight, the Game will run fine for about 15 minutes before Windows crashes with the above stated error code. It does not crash while using the Computer Otherwise - just while playing high end games. I did not crash yet while playing Counter Strike for example.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 1700
GeForce GTX 1070TI
16gb DDR-4 3200Mhz RAM
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming Mainboard
and a Corsair CX 550M PSU ( I was thinking thats maybe not enough power? )

I´ve tried anything that I am Capable of by now.
All Drivers (that I know of) are up to date.
The BIOS is the latest.
I looked at the Crashdumps with WhoCrashed but it just blamed the Kernel ( so still a Driver Problem I guess? )
I have also tried looking into the Crashdumps with WinDBG but I am just not experienced enough to actually read anything from it.
Here is the link to the Crashdumps:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7u8483ivvbpl3dv/Crashdumps.zip/file

I would really appreciate any tips you can give, as I have run out of options at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

best guess is the problem is related to this old driver AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys
you should uninstall it.
you can use autoruns to prevent the driver from loading or to remove the driver if you don't know what the installer to use to uninstall it.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

---------------------
I would remove this driver. I think it is a early microcode patch, the bios would have picked up the patch and newer fixes since it is newer.

C:\Program Files\AMD\RyzenMaster\bin\AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys Mon Nov 13 21:58:28 2017
you also have microsoft version of the cpu patch running but something wrong with it:
\SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll ***** Invalid

you might update your Intel Pro/1000 Network Adapter driver
your version is from 2016
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

not sure what this driver is:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Gemma.sys Tue Oct 2 05:52:06 2018
you should try and find out.

BIOS Version 4024
BIOS Release Date 09/07/2018
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
Processor Version AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3750MHz
Current Speed 3000MHz

you have RivaTuner/EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner
running, these can cause issues, you might remove the software until after you get the problems resolved.

Nov 16, 2018
So I removed MSI Afterburner and AMD Ryzen Master, updated the LAN Driver ( it somehow still says 2017, even after completely reinstalling it) and found out, that Gemma.sys is a Driver used by BitDefender - my antivirus. Will now try to play again and see if it crashes. Fingers Crossed.

I think the AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys had other drivers that were depending on it.
I think it is going to be in the asus utilites and you might have to remove or update them.

looks like a bunch of recent updates for your drivers:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

the update for the amd chipset indicates you need to remove the old drivers before the update but it does not indicate how. (hopefully there was some uninstaller you can run)

you might need to start cmd.exe as an admin, then run
net.exe stop "plug and play"
then run your uninstall programs
then run your new install program
and turn plug and play back
via
net.exe start "plug and play"

it might be required, since when you uninstall a device, windows plug and play might reinstall it a few seconds latter before you actually run the new install program.

update the motherboard sound driver also, I do not see one installed.
(unless the hardware was disabled in bios)
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

for certain network drivers you have to install the new drivers then go in to windows device manager for the device and select the new driver as the default driver. (otherwise you end up just running continuing with the old driver)

the actual crash happened because of a stack overflow. all of the calls were from a 3rd party driver (not a normal windows file) guessing it was a part of the asus utilities trying to talk the driver we removed.

Nov 16, 2018
I think we did it! I ran the CleanUp utility AMD provides to clean all AMD Drivers that may lurk around somewhere, reinstalled Network, Chipset and Graphic Drivers INSTALLED Audio drivers - you were right, I missed those - and I didnt crash in my Tests with RS6 yet. Earlier this day I was able to get about 2 Runs in a Scenario Mission ( I used those to test it because they were pretty consitant at crashing ) and I just did about 10 without a single problem.
I cant thank you enough for your help. Really - I appreciate it. Kudos to you.

If I should crash again, I know now where to look ^^ Thanks again.

put up a link or the name of the amd cleanup utility so other people that read this can find it.
it is much easier than trying to remove each driver by hand.

Nov 16, 2018
Okay, new day new problems - I am still crashing. At this point, I dont know what to do. But it does seem like the Chipset driver update didnt replace that mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll driver, since its still showing as Invalid in WinDBG.

Maybe I should try to clean-install Windows? Wouldn't cost that much time since I am running a SSD, im just not sure if it would fix it.

Crapshdump from the latest crash: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9c846ykm447z9sw/111718-6250-01.dmp/file

Thanks in Advance.

mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll is a file provided by microsoft, i have seen it marked as invalid on systems that already had a amd microcode patch.

I would go ahead and do a clean windows install with a current version, then apply all of the windows updates
it should give you all of the Microsoft versions of the driver files, then you can just let Microsoft update them.
they have so many machines reporting errors via the windows error reporting that they get fixes out pretty fast for drivers they have access to the source code.

buccheck occurred because something low in the kernel tried to use a bogus memory address.
(address 14) which is more likely to be a size field of a memory block since kernel addresses would start with ffff like ffffe603`37905a00
the microcode patch is not loading

13: kd> !sysinfo cpumicrocode
sysinfo: unknown error 80004005
13: kd> !error 0x80004005
Error code: (HRESULT) 0x80004005 (2147500037) - Unspecified error

you might be able to fix it by deleting the file then start cmd.exe as an admin
then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
but you don't know if the hidden back up copy has been modified.

Nov 16, 2018
Final Conclusion: After I reinstalled Windows TWICE because I kept getting Bluescreens, I went from sqaure one and checked everything. I started with the BIOS and well, long story short: My RAM Frequency was set to 3133 MHz. I set it down to 2133MHz and never had a crash since. I just find it weird because they are 3200MHz sticks. Didn't notice a performance drop though so I'll just let it be. Thanks for your Tips!

Feb 20, 2019
I'm having this issue too. Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming, Ryzen 7 1700x and Corsair Vengeance LPX CL15 3000Mhz RAM. I'm thinking it's an issue with my RAM too. I'll drop it to stock.