What PSU is better?

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Hey, I've been having a lot of issues recently with my new build and it looks like it's my (kinda old) PSU fault. so I've been looking for a new one to replace my old XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold.
I was thinking about buying one of the following:
-EVGA Supernova G3 850W 80+ Gold
-Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80+ Platinum
-CoolerMaster V850 Modular 850W 80+ Gold

All are around the same price, which one do you guys think it's better?

Thanks!

What kind of hardware do you have that you are looking at 850W?
Either of these are just fine... unless you are powering dual SLI GTX 1080...in that case you will need 850W
-Seasonic Focus Plus 650W
-EVGA Supernova G3 650W

Id go with the EVGA or Seaosnic. EVGA has excellent Customer Support and Seasonic is known for quality builds. I know nothing of Coolermaster PSUs but I just feel like Coolermaster is a company more about looks then anything else.

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
My specs:
I7 8700k + Hyper 212 EVO
Aorus Z370 Gaming 3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 LPX
WD Blue 1tb SATA 3
Kingston A400 SSD 240 Gb
Asus Strix GTX 1070ti

I don't need 850w, but I usually go up one tier every time I buy a new PSU. Also, since my 750W is failling to deliver enough power for my current build (random reboots when gaming/heavy tasks) and since I may want to buy another 1070ti in a couple months, I thought it was best to just go for a 850w PSU.

That's more than one tier. At full load your system might use around 400W.
A reliable 550W PSU will be enough for that system components, so a 650W is plenty.
Having a lot more wattage wont help on any way. Loads in the area of 50 to 80% will help achieve max efficiency.

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Jojesa, the thing is I had a 650w thermaltake PSU, which failed to deliver enough power for a gtx 970. I switched to the XFX 750W PSU and it worked fine until I upgraded to a 1070ti, then it started rebooting at full load (not a temp issue, GPU working under 50° and CPU under 30°), so I don't think getting a smaller PSU will help, since the one I already have fails to deliver enough power for everything to work at full load.
Also, I want to get another gpu to run dual SLI 1070ti sometime next year.

If you are thinking about a SLI configuration then it make sense to go with 850W or even higher wattage. Most games and apps have dropped support for SLI and new games are not even considering it. So if you go that route take that in consideration, since there might be little to zero advantages.

I understand you argument but PSU wattage means nothing if the components used are cheap. The only Thermaltake PSU I have seen to last and it is reliable is the Toughpower series.
I would not compare any Thermaltake PSU with a reliable PSUs like Seasonic Focus Plus series, EVGA Supernova G3 series, Corsair RMx, TMx AX, etc.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I suspect your reboots weren't a matter of power limit, rather they were caused by spikes that the PSUs components couldn't handle. As jojesa is saying, that PSU wasn't good enough, or had a component that was failing and that was the cause of your reboots. All PSUs eventually have parts croak, good ones take a lot longer, usually. Gaming, tends to kill cheap PSUs due to the spikes in draw that are caused.