Trying to run Windows 10 and Windows 7 on the same PC with different drives.

Vader6x

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello, I'm trying to play a game that is only available on Windows 10, which is sort of hard seeing as how my PC is running Windows 7. Fortunately, I have a second SSD with Win10. I want to know is it ok to switch between the two SSDs to play games on 10 then switch back to 7 whenever I want?

Few things, I have 2 other SSDs connected to the PC and an External HDD connected when I run 7. Do I have to disconnect those drives too? Will windows 10 corrupt them? Do I have to switch them manual or through the bios? Which is safer?

Thank you guys for helping me out

Yes, that works fine. With each operating system installed on separate SSD's, you will be qued to select which operating system to load at start up. You can set which one will load by default.

I do this exact same thing on my system.

I would disconnect the other drives while installing each operating system.

Then afterwards you will need set the drive priority list (with both system drives in the list).

It will give you an error stating that it needs to check the drive. Just let it do the check. It will work fine afterwards.

The other drives will be listed using both operating systems. But you may not be able to use the same files with both operating systems (account security). Some you may be able to use (with Administrator status).

Vader6x

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
What about saving and loading from those other drives? Could I save something when running 10 in the other SSDs?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
As above all is good dual booting.

Question,

Have you installed win10 already on this hardware or did this drive come from another PC?

If win10 drive was from another pc that can cause problems. Reinstall if thats the case but disconnect all drives before installing win10 to avoid it relocating boot loader as it likes to do if other drives are connected.

Win10 wont compromise other drives after install, dual booting as normal.

Vader6x

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I'm a little worried about the drives cross messing up. My Win7 drive is very precious to me. Could I just unplug the 7 drive and replace it with the 10 and run the computer with the other SSDs inside with no data corruption? Then, switch back to my 7 and unplug the 10 with no issues?

There should not be a problem. Some things you will just need to load twice (like anti-malware for example).

But I have this on my system right now (without problems).