Laptop converted to greatly cooled desktop

Nov 22, 2018
Hi! I got a laptop that used to produce a lot of heat. To have fun cracking it open and also beacause this is not my main laptop anymore, I transformed it in a very clean-looking no-case pc with all the componments as distant as possible form each other and put 2 silent house/industrial fans on the sides. It is amazing beacause I never experience thermal throttling anymore: I tested it with a laser thermometer and the temperature of any componement never goes above 15 degrees celcius (50F) !!
Now I kind of feel like this is overkilling the problem of overheat, so maybe I could try overclocking this "desktop" pc, but I suck at computer science. I don't want to know how to do that because there is hundreds of tutorials out there, I'm just wandering if overclocking the gpu and cpu would be possible with these componments and what kind of increase should i be expecting from overclocking them, knowing that the fans are not even set on half their speed. The original laptop was a asus r510jx-xx174h (i7 and gtx950m).

Thanks for reading and maybe helping! sorry for my poor english...
Aeps

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
15'C? What kind of ambient temperature are you working with?

A typical "house" fan is not going to lower the temps of electronics much below ambient - and certainly not under load..... so I suspect something is amiss with your testing.

"Can" you overclock a laptop? Possibly. A modded BIOS would likely be necessary though, beyond the GPU which should be able to be tweaked a little in MSI Afterburner.

Nov 22, 2018
Thx for answering!
It's on my workplace so it should pretty cold i guess, i'll test it in an insulated place
My company produces industrial fans for engines, i kind of understand how it works
well its not really a laptop anymore, at least it does not have the cooling problems