Decisions, Decisions and so little time! Intel Vs Ryzen

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Okay, so I know computers a bit, but I'm probably not savvy enough to build one myself without effing something up. So once again, I'm going with Maingear.

The thing is I'm torn between the Ryzen 7 2700x and the i7 8700k

Both will have the same setup basically other than motherboard obviously, and the memories are slower/faster for Intel/Ryzen respectively.

RTX 2070 (it's what I can afford, geez)
16 GB RAM
M.2 512 GB SSD for OS
an extra 250 GB SATA SSD
and 2TB good olde' fashioned hard drive for storage
750 W PSU

The Intel system is basically just 20 bucks more. I've seen the benchmarks where the Intel out performs in gaming, and that's mostly what I'll be doing, but is it worth the loss of cores and potential future proofing?
Either way I'm placing an order tomorrow night. Can't wait any longer.

I wont be running at 4k either, 1440p tops.

Anyway, I'm pretty torn on this now. Before, I had my mind set on the Ryzen, but now I just don't know! All and any opinions welcome.

It makes no real difference which one you go with. The Ryzen will be a little better for rendering and stuff like that and the 8700K will be slightly better for gaming. They are so close it just doesn't matter which one you pick. The 8700K is only on average less than 10% faster in gaming at lower than 1440p resolutions and at 1440p or higher they are basically the same. The Ryzen CPU also isn't so far ahead of the Intel part because of its 2 extra cores that it's going to future proof your system any more than the other. The 8700K has a pretty big clock speed advantage and a small ipc advantage. That matters a lot more for gaming than 2 more cores although that may change in the next decade if you keep your PC that long.

Now yes there's a difference in gaming... But for the real world settings you'd use... No difference. The only way to really see the difference is with an overpowered GPU and at a lower resolution than 1440p.

OH MY GOD! Maingear is so much more expensive than building it yourself. It's crazy.

It's around $1900 to buy a computer from them with an 8700K and RTX 2070 and all the other reasonable parts. That's even without an SSD.

You'd save $400 to $600 building it yourself depending on what you go with for the case, cooling.. Whatever.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Gaming mostly. Watching movies and streaming. Possibly some recording in the future.

I would rather go for 1700x+2080....or 10700x+2070 with some more money left
1700x costs currently about €160., while 2700x costs about €320.
I7 8700k costs currently around €420.
I would look around checking the prices first.

You can then allocate the price difference to better GPU or into your pocket for future upgrades.

Yes, I7 8700k is still better for gaming but not like 2x better for more than 2x the cost.
2700x is also not 2x better with 2x cost.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Good idea but I'm pretty sure it would take a long time to get the older chips. Maingear is partnered with AMD and Nvidia so they only offer the items that are current I believe

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Yes I'm sure it would be for me as well, but like I said this company is partnered with AMD so they only offer the latest and greatest unfortunately. They wouldn't put a GTX 1080 in it because it's discontinued. I'm sure it's the same for AMD otherwise they'd offer the older chips on the site.

For gaming you want to prioritise the clock speed.
If you're recording, more cores would help a lot.

In theory a Ryzen 5 will offer you what you need for streaming and recording while playing, but it's always nicer to have more cores.

So up to you now to find the sweet spot between price, clock speed, and cores between the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 lineup.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Yeah think I'll end up going with the 2700x
Just hope this won't hurt in the long run for gaming, especially since I'm going to get a 1440p monitor

2700x is ok.
compared to 1700x, 2700x should be around 10% faster and there should be some other fixes you can not see.

For me on E3-1231V3...
What people complain about 2700x less faster than 8700k is actually "complaining on high level".
It is like watching people comparing a Lamborgini Aventador and Bugatthi Chiron....but me sticking with Opel Astra.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Actually, with taxes and shipping it came out to 2100 dollars. This is my second Maingear I've had and they are really nice computers, the wiring is done beautifully and there's a 3 year warranty on the machine. Plus they have programs for upgrades.
I'm halfway decent with PCs, but I'd probably need someone to help me on my first build so I don't muck it up, the wiring especially. Currently have no one to show me! Also installing the motherboard seems like a real bitch.

Yeah yeah I know I probably would have save 1000 dollars but I said screw it. But thanks for the suggestion. Maybe my next build will be homemade.