Need advice on a PC build (My first time building).

Nov 30, 2018
Going to attempt to build my first PC for casual gaming. I don't play many recent titles but may do in the future. It is intended to be a starting point to which I can add extra memory and a video card to later as I can't buy everything at once. I don't have a lot of expert knowledge on PC parts but have done my best to choose some parts which will work together (using PC part picker too). Before I start buying everything though, I'd like to get the opinions from people who know what they are doing.

The parts I am looking at are;
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
GPU: Vega 8 integrated (Looking at a GTX1050 in the future)
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler (For now)
MotherBoard: MSI B450M PRO4-M2 (Going for a smaller desktop for space reasons)
RAM: TEAM DDR4 2666Mhz PC4-21300 4gbx2 (Has lifetime warranty in Japan)
SSD: Western Digital Blue 250GB M.2 2280 SSD (Will add an extra mechanical HDD later)
PSU: Corsair CXM 550w 80+ Bronze
Case: Cool master master box Q300L w/ 2 extra 120mm front fans

I am open to suggestions for changes but prices for parts are higher in Japan (this is costing $550 USD, $100 more than PC part picker displayed for the same system) so I don't want to stray too far from the price range I am at now.

I am currently using an Alienware M11x R2 (i5 520um with GeForce GT335m) so it is well and truly time to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Edit: Forgot to list the games I play: Path of Exile, TERA, Dawn of War 3 (unplayable on current machine), Starcraft 2 and Guild Wars 2.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
It depends on how long you need to run before you buy a GPU.

If it is going to be a long time (6months or more) then get the 2400G (Better graphics).

Perhaps you can re-use your old system case to save some money now.

If it will be a short time then either the i3 8100 or stick with your 2200G plan.

Can't really fault it, you've plainly done your homework & know your budget.

If anything I'd be looking at a slightly better quality motherboard simply for future upgrades because I wouldn't want ti be running a ryzen 7 on that board & it only has 2 ram slots.

Also faster ram does make a difference to the graphics performance on the 2200g.

I think 2666mhz is just about acceptable but 3000mhz would give a 10-15% performance boost.

Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the answers! It's good to know the 12hours i spent searching were of use!
I will probably be able to buy a GPU in about 3 or 4 months so it's not too far away. Because I am planning to buy a GPU I though the 2666 RAM would do the trick. Should I upgrade to 3000mhz, even though I'm gonna get a GPU in the near future?
I am currently using a laptop so I don't have a case but maybe I can check some second hand shops for some good deals.
As for the mother board, I was originally looking at a ASRock B450M Pro4 which has 4 DIMM slots and isn't too much more expensive. Would this be better in the long run for future CPU and GPU upgrades?

Once more thanks for the comments!

The asrock board is boundless amounts better imo.

If it comes to future upgrades then I'd trust the asrock to run any of the ryzen chips including the 8core 16 thread ryzen 7's whereas that msi board has a weak vrm setup & no heatsink on the soc vrms (which has a bearing on temps when using the integrated graphics)

So yeah, if the asrock is doable in budget then absolutely 100% go for it.

The 4 ram slots are also a bonus.

In all honesty I'd consider running games at 720p res while you don't have a dedicated gpu, while the 2200g can manage 1080p upto a point if you're prepared to compromise on resolution then you'll be sitting at a lot more solid gaming fps.

Re ram speed, depends on price, within $20 or so I'd say yes faster ram is worth it, any more no, stick with the 2666mhz you've listed.

Nov 30, 2018

Thanks for all the input! I'll have a look around for RAM based on your comments and I will upgrade to the ASRock board as I managed to find a cheaper case too.
I think I'm set to go now!

Edit: Managed to find some Team Vulcan ddr4 3000mhz pc4-24000 ram sticks for a small price increase!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($26.96 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $562.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-30 08:53 EST-0500

Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the system suggestion SgtScream. The only problem is that part prices in Japan are horrendous. On average about 20% higher. That rx 570 card starts at prices around $180-190 for where I am which puts me well over budget.

I like that case though. The height is perfect.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though!