I suspect my phone (Samsung J5 2016) keeps breaking my earbuds

karlisk11

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
So this is a weird one and I am just looking for proof of my suspicion by seeing if anyone else has heard of anything related to this.. Basically I got a 2nd hand Samsung galaxy j5 2016 back in August (it was factory reset) and it work about as well as one could expect from a entry level 2016 phone in 2018. However now in the past month and a half I have gone through 4 PAIRS of earbuds.
The first one of them was somewhat expensive and a higher quality pair that I had gotten couple months back, they worked flawlessly until the left earbuds just died, I was quite annoyed but that isn’t the first time and stuff like that happens from time to time especially with earbuds so whatever “I will use my old pair” I thought...
That pair lasted about a week before the left earbud died, they were old and had been washed 2 times but that was month ago at that time and they had worked, again, flawlessly, but they were about 1 year old and a cheap pair so fair enough.
Now I reverted to my final reserve pair that I had laying around and a week later you guessed it, same old story. I waited for about a month and bought another pair, I decided to give my phone a final benefit of doubt and bough a slightly more fancy pair of earbuds with a mic and inline volume controller, just over a week has passed now and this time it was a bit different. Any time I move the wire the sound gets very distorted, my phone also basically stops working, the screen freezes and eventually it restarts by itself. If I remove the earbuds it works fine but putting in the wire kills it. This happened completely out of nowhere, I actually went to the cinema and on my where there I was listening to Spotify without issues, about half way back home everything just broke down without any indication.
If anyone has any ideas or solutions or just anything to add to this please let me know, but there is simply no way that this was just some unlucky streak of bad pairs of earbuds.

Yes you can have a bad jack on the phone, and yes it may be damaging the contacts on the headphones. Is there a way for sure to say if that is the cause and not how you handle the earbuds that causes issues? No way to tell really. I do know from how most people treat headphones, it is as likely to be an issue is just using them as the phone damaging the jack on them.