Intel Core i5-9600K Review: A Mid-Range Gamer's CPU

Intel's Core i5-9600K looks to upset the Ryzen 5 2600X as the value chip for the mainstream.

Intel Core i5-9600K Review: A Mid-Range Gamer's CPU : Read more
13 answers Last reply
More about intel core 9600k review mid range gamer cpu
  1. First page, Ryzen 5 2600X should be 95W
  2. This is not for rendering, but gaming. At 4k, there are practically few to no performance losses compared to the top tier processors. ( maybe a couple of multithreaded games). If AMD really wants to grab the gaming niche, they should consider better overclocking chips ( nothing less than 5ghz nowadays) or at least same intel level, and a differencial, which could be from more pcie lanes (maybe 24, 16 for graphics, 4 for boot drive and 4 for the chipset) to a larger die area, for a more efficient cooling.
  3. One thing I am wondering. Why these 6 core parts does not boost as high as 8 core 16 threads versions... It would seems to be easier to boost higher with less cores.
  4. seems more like a "refresh" than a new chip. something like the 4690k was a few years back. thrown on some better thermal compound and bump the mhz up a little bit. does look like they have squeezed all they can out of the current fab. overclocking shows that the thermal compound makes little difference once oc'ed. they gonna fall behind if they can't get the bugs worked out of their new die shrink. amd has a chance to make a move with a well placed update if they can swing some extra ipc from the ryzen chips.
  5. hannibal said:
    One thing I am wondering. Why these 6 core parts does not boost as high as 8 core 16 threads versions... It would seems to be easier to boost higher with less cores.


    You're right -- they could easily push the clocks higher. Product segmentation is the name of the game, though.
  6. if they could push it higher, shouldn't that show in overclocking? but it does not look like there is any extra headroom based on various oc testing. or am i remembering wrong?
  7. Notice that the "stock" numbers for this CPU really represent a "best case":
    * Slight (0.8%) base clock overclock.
    * Motherboard that leaves the CPU on full boost frequency until the job is done instead of dropping the frequency to stay within official TDP limit.
    The majority of motherboards should provide lower scores.

    Some new games also favor eight threads over six, so a six thread CPU might not be the best option for gaming a few years ahead.

    johnphilips said:
    ... If AMD really wants to grab the gaming niche, they should consider better...
    That'll be the Zen2 line-up...
    If the leaks/rumors are true the next Ryzen 5 will outperform current Ryzen 7.

    hannibal said:
    One thing I am wondering. Why these 6 core parts does not boost as high as 8 core 16 threads versions...
    Binning! (See below.)

    Math Geek said:
    seems more like a "refresh" than a new chip. ...
    It's just a way to dump off some of the flawed eight-core dies.
    One or two flawed cores and/or reduced clocking capacity makes a die suitable for the i5 rather than i7 or i9.
  8. Math Geek said:
    seems more like a "refresh" than a new chip. something like the 4690k was a few years back. thrown on some better thermal compound and bump the mhz up a little bit. does look like they have squeezed all they can out of the current fab. overclocking shows that the thermal compound makes little difference once oc'ed. they gonna fall behind if they can't get the bugs worked out of their new die shrink. amd has a chance to make a move with a well placed update if they can swing some extra ipc from the ryzen chips.


    It is a refresh, read Coffee Lake
  9. It depends a lot on the chip...

    Math Geek said:
    if they could push it higher, shouldn't that show in overclocking? but it does not look like there is any extra headroom based on various oc testing. or am i remembering wrong?
  10. It'd be nice to show the benches of the i5's people will be considering replacing ... all the way from i5 2500 which is more likely an upgrade than the 8700k.
  11. So I am looking for a basis for a new build, and noting what's new and what it costs. Thanks for this...maybe it's time to just go back to AMD again? The chart comparing the 9000 series CPUs shows the i5-9600K at $262-263, but the link to Amazon and their price is now $377.98 (correct as of 5 Dec on their site). What is with Amazon anyway? Looking at NE, it's listed at $277.95. That's a hundred bucks difference! Still don't see what I get with the 9th Gen. My old Haswell is still working well.
  12. dennphill said:
    So I am looking for a basis for a new build, and noting what's new and what it costs. Thanks for this...maybe it's time to just go back to AMD again? The chart comparing the 9000 series CPUs shows the i5-9600K at $262-263, but the link to Amazon and their price is now $377.98 (correct as of 5 Dec on their site). What is with Amazon anyway? Looking at NE, it's listed at $277.95. That's a hundred bucks difference! Still don't see what I get with the 9th Gen. My old Haswell is still working well.

    its not because of amazon that the prices are higher than MSRP, the price hike is because of lack of supply from intel, they cannot meet the demand, their 14nm fab process cant handle it, also Apple has ordered a ton of modem for their new iphones which are also on the 14nm process, some of the intel chipsets which were on 14nm are pushed back to 28nm to make room and intel has contracted TSMC to manufacture some of their chips..so maybe we might see a reduction in price soon, and with AMD is launching the 7nm Ryzen 2nd gen CPUs (Zen 2 not Zen+) soon, that will also reduce the price of intel chips, hoipefully
  13. The 9600k is only $230 at Microcenter with a MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX motherboard for only $120.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Components Intel