New gaming rig build, comments/suggestions appreciated :)

Dec 6, 2018
Hey guys, about to order a new gaming rig, but before I link the current build, I wanted to share some of my thoughts behind it, in order to get the best advice. :)
First off, I don't upgrade frequently. My current PC, save the graphics card, is 5 years old(happy birthday) this month. The only reason I upgraded the graphics card was because the old one got fried, but was covered by the warranty. Since the fried was discontinued, I paid a little bit of cash and upgrade the 780 to a 980Ti. I've never played in any resolution beyond full HD, but now I wanted to take a stab at QHD and I believe I've found a great monitor for this purpose. Now, I know 4K is out there and you can get monitors for the same amount of cash, but I worry about the refresh rate. I remember going from my old monitor to my current one(144 Hz) and it kinda blew my mind how much more relaxing it was to look at. As far as I can tell, unless I'm willing to get a second mortgage, I cannot get a 4k monitor with that kind of refresh rate. They all seem to max out at 65 Hz. I worry that even though the resolution is insane, I'll notice the big difference in refresh rate from my old monitor. However, if you don't think that is the case, I'd much appreciate a suggestion for a 4K monitor to match this build. :) Also, I know the PSU is waaay overkill, but this thing is supposed to last 5 years, and the previous star of the class, AX1200i is very close pricewise(my current PSU is the AX860i), so figured I might as well get the 1600. I don't really overclock, but again, if this is gonna last for several years, I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a motherboard with that kind of capability, for when the rig starts lagging a bit behind the competition. Anyways, here's the current build, please let me know what you think. :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RJ8zRJ

enauwen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
A PSU that expansive is just a waste of money. Even a good 700W PSU should last >5 years in your configuration. The myth of "if my PSU just uses 1% of what its capable of, it will last longer" is not true. Just watch out to have a little more power than your rig would need maxed out. You could simply just reuse the old PSU.
If you want to know more about why 4k gaming is also a waste of money, there is a video from linus tech tips about that topic, that explains the matter very good. I'd recommend watching that.
Short version: 4k gaming with high refresh rate benefits will cost around 7k (2080Ti SLI and expensive 4k monitor required) and you wont be able to seperate pixels at qhd (depending on your monitor size), so not much gain from 4k resolution overall.

Dec 6, 2018
Appreciate the response. :) I don't subscribe to the myth you're referencing, my main line of reasoning was that more power would equal longevity in terms of being able to handle more powerful hardware upgrades in the future. Like I said, 1600 is way overkill, I realize that. I just wanted to upgrade my psu rather than have that being a potential fail point(afteer 5 years of heavy usage) and it ended up taking a lot of expensive components with it. Do you have a specific suggestion for a PSU that would handle that load?

enauwen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
As i said, i would just use the old one. It even has 10 years warranty, 5 left i believe? I dont see any reason to upgrade it. If you want to upgrade your GPU in the future and your PSU wont be sufficient then, because sli or whatever, you can upgrade it with the rest of your components at that point.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Your thinking on the power supply is completely wrong. 550 watts will run what you hsve listed just fine, for the drive the M.2 does pretty much nothing for a gaming PC, 32 gb of memory is wasting more money, you can get a good 2K resolution G-Sync monitor for less than thst one.

800 bucks less and a better monitor when you move up to a 2K monitor your going to say wow again. You could use the savings ti get the 2080ti.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($409.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - R1 Universal 76 CFM CPU Cooler ($93.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($175.44 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Walmart)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($829.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Cougar - Panzer Evo RGB ATX Full Tower Case ($218.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($93.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - Predator XB1 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2582.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-06 10:05 EST-0500

Dec 6, 2018
Just to give a bit of a followup; I'm gonna go with the above configuration except for the monitor(sticking to my original one) and reusing my old PSU. Thanks to everyone for their help :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You should try the 2K monitor although it will lower your FPS since its a higher resolution.
Nothing wrong with reusin the AX 860 you already have.
https://pcgamehaven.com/1080p-144hz-vs-1440p-144hz-worth-upgrade/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 Quad Lumi 49 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC WHITE Video Card ($749.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.73 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - FD-FAN-SSLL-120-WT 41.8 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1954.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-07 16:52 EST-0500