CPU 100% when running 1 game, huge fps drop in games.

Supreez

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Hey, so I have not so recently bought a gaming pc which runs 90% of games on ultra settings.
That aside
Recently I started playing Destiny 2 and in game I usually get stable 80+ fps on all settings maxed out, just a few days back I have had for no apparent reason huge fps drops in many games, mainly destiny 2, I get around 48-90 fps at the moment depending on the location I'm at, this is very disturbing.
Before you say that I should check for dust etc, i'll point it out that I just have cleaned my pc of all dust/hair, temperatures are 40 C for both CPU and GPU. (I think that's normal with the stock cooler).
Would kindly appreciate all help I can get, and if any more info needs to be provided just ask!
Specs:
GTX 1060 6GB
I5-7400
8 GB DDR4
Got 1 HWID log, couldn't save one while i was playing for some reason, if you need anything else lmk.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tS3v45_j3nJMx5A2PZabcixXWQVSEXPT/view?usp=sharing

Edit:
Forgot to mention cpu is always 100% when playing, although destiny takes up 50-60% on task manager, scanned for viruses, nothing found. Aswell as Discord seems to start lagging when talking at random moments.

aissypewdiepie

Prominent
Jul 6, 2018
At first glance, I would think this is just that your gpu which is bottlenecked by the cpu but when you say it was just fine when you were playing with the same system before, it's kind of not that. It could be some other tasks being executed when running the game and utilizing the cpu resource somehow. Did you check in the task manager while running the game that no other tasks are taking up much cpu resources?

Well, if you did and found that wasn't the case, I would like to ask if there was any update you did. Sometimes it can really be the game itself which has buggy hardware utilization. Did you check with any other games, are you getting the same fps drop?

Supreez

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

I checked the task manager, everything else seems to be utilizing around 0.2-1% of cpu.
I don't think I did any updates, at first i thought the system might have been overheating because I had my pc close to my radiator behind my desk and as it is winter radiator is now warm. But that didn't seem to be the case as nothing has burned out nor did it boost fps/anything else that much. The framerate in games seems to be more like choppy as in fps goes to normal and all of a sudden drops really low for a while.

What might have changed between the time all was good and now?

Possibly some windows maintenance. Sometimes windows updates to a less than good graphics driver.
Possibly you have acquired malware or a virus.
See if you can't use system restore to reset back to when all was well.

Normal temperatures for a stock cooler will be 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Significantly more and the cooler might have come loose.

Supreez

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

Nothing really, one day everything was normal as it should be and the other fps started to drop.
I manually update graphics drivers, just yesterday upgraded to the latest gtx driver. Before you say it might be the drivers problem, I used the last driver when everything was still okay. I already ran through a virus scan with avast and malwarebytes, deleted the potential threats, still no progress. I checked the idle temps are around 30-40 on i5 7400 with stock cooler, and load they're ~60 C which is also what I get here. Just checked the cooler, nothing has come loose and it is cooling like it should be.

Sounds like you have checked the obvious things.
Have you tried system restore?

When running start task manager.
Is there anything suspicious running?

If windows update is running, that can mess things up.
Set windows update to run outside of your gaming hours.

While you are at it, check your windows privacy settings.
There are about 10 that you should disable.

Are there any programs in your installed list that you do not recognize?

By default, windows can use your pc to distribute updates to others.

Supreez

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

Don't think I can do system restore because I wiped all backup files using antivirus scan yesterday lol
Nothing really suspicious in task manager, here's a screen of it. https://imgur.com/a/6JcX4X6
How do I set the windows update (i guess service?) to run outside of gaming hours?
Which 10 settings exactly should I disable?
Already checked program list, nothing out of the ordinary.

Go to security and maintenance to set times.

Your task manager shows 24% busy.
That screams to me that CSGO is single threaded and working at 100%
Windows spreads the activity of a single thread out across all the available threads.
Apparently, CSGO is known as a cpu hog.

google for windows privacy settings.
Here is one hit:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/windows-10-settings-to-change
For whatever reason, windows likes to turn off system protection.
I guess it thinks it will never make a mistake.
The first item in that link tells about system protection.
That is what I was referring to.

mtracy1991

Reputable

Try opening up task manager and right-clicking any of the games you play and set priority to HIGH. Please let me know the feedback to this task.

Also, have you tried running the game(s) without Discord running versus with? To see if it still occurs?

Personally, I have had an issue like this where a clean install solved my problem.

Supreez

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

Managed to quickly take a screen through alt tabbing, when in game cs is around 90% cpu usage. https://imgur.com/a/XHzKXVN
Set the protection thingy

Supreez

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

Everything should be working with normal priority settings but it doesn't really help that much ,slows the pc down. I get a big fps drop when talking on discord, not when it's running idle in background.

Supreez

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

I have lower fps in pubg than usual aswell as fps spikes, and pc itself seems to be a bit slower. Other than that I don't play other games. In cs I don't have anything noticeable (although it is a low requirement game so nothing to expect from there)

Supreez

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
So after some time I realized it might be a problem with upload speed when having discord running in background and destiny 2 at the same time as they both use a lot of internet resources because destiny 2 is all online game and atm i'm looking at how to fix this.

mtracy1991

Reputable

Hoping this solves your problem.