the flurv

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Approximate Purchase Date:

This month

Budget Range:

$2500-ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

Primary use will be photo editing using Adobe suite (Photoshop/Lightroom/Bridge) and Capture One. Some light video editing using Premiere as well. I've used Puget Systems Photoshop/Lightroom builds as a guide for the build.

I might use it for games occasionally but this is not a priority. If so though I would like a smooth experience on a 4k monitor, but not to picky overall.

Are you buying a monitor:

Yes, a 4k monitor to run in a dual monitor set up along with 1680x1050 monitor.

Do you need to buy OS:
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Apparently yes, if the above statement is true. What are the differences between Win 10 home & Pro?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: PC Parts Picker list I suppose

Parts Preferences:

See parts list below, open to other suggestions

Overclocking:

Not planning on it

SLI or Crossfire:

SLI

Your Monitor Resolution:

1680x1050 to start, will be upgrading to 4k

Additional Comments:

Ideally I'd like some input on components that there might be better alternatives for, is there a better version of the 1070 TI for example, is that video card going to be up to the task? Is there a better motherboard option? Is anything on the edge of being outdated (I'd like to future proof as much as possible, with in reason). I'm not up to speed with all of the variables and basically just pulled from the Puget Systems photoshop build as they seem to know their stuff.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:

Old PC is 9 or 10 years old, still works decent considering. Was debating an iMac but now leaning towards building my own PC.

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts. Please do not post only links.

PC Parts picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mFxqgw

CPU:
Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core ($534.89 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler:
Noctua - NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard:
Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($195.34 @ OutletPC)

Memory:
Crucial - Ballistix Tactical Tracer 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($268.75 @ Newegg)

Storage:
Samsung - 860 Pro 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($280.72 @ Amazon)

Storage:
Western Digital - Red (Retail Kit) 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ B&H)

Video Card:
NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($592.99 @ Amazon)

Case:
Fractal Design - Define R6 USB-C Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($167.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply:
EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850 W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.78 @ OutletPC)

Total: $2398.43 (+ Win 10)

How's this build look to you?

Noctua NH-U14S at a minimum, or perhaps even a 240mm AIO.
The 140mm Cyrorig H5 for $53 might be good to consider also.
2x16GB DDR4-3200 for $255
I'm not sure you need the 860 PRO. Have you researched this?
GTX1070Ti is a $360 card.
PSU could be 650W. You're going to be at 275W-300W actual power draw under load. EVGA's 650 G2 for $75 is the same platform as the P2 series. Jonnyguru's testing showed that the G2 performed well within the 80+ gold spec, while the P2 was marginal on the 80+ platinum spec. The newer EVGA G1+ 650W is the same price.

g-unit1111

Titan

The U14 is basically the same as the U12 but with a 140mm fan instead of a 120mm one. That would entirely depend on the case size. You also do *NOT* need 32GB of RAM (you can get it but you're better off spending money on the CPU and GPU, then adding in the RAM later), and the differences between the 860 Pro and 860 Evo are really just marketing terms, they're really the exact same drive. But I would do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($409.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($195.34 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($117.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($809.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2336.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-11 00:04 EST-0500

I downgraded the CPU but upgraded the GPU which is what you should be spending your money on. You could also alternately go with an X299 setup depending on your needs.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($534.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($168.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ B&H)
Case: be quiet! - SILENT BASE 801 | BLACK ATX Mid Tower Case ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1556.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-11 02:50 EST-0500

I have left enough budget to add NVIDIA QUADRO RTX4000(releasing soon). Instead of going with Geforce get Quadro card which is better suited for your work.
Yes I skipped on HDD you can add one if you like. But included 1TB NVMe SSD instead. You can go for 500GB SSD and add HDD if you want. Barracuda 3TB is available for great price or if you want pro grade product I recommend WD Gold series over Red and Black.
If you plan on buying 4K monitor in future I recommend buying one of these.
DELL UP3216Q
ASUS PA329Q

the flurv

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll go with 16GB of DDR4-3200 instead of 32GB and look into downgrading the PSU and 860 pro differences.

Thanks for this, I've got a couple questions. Why would I go with an X299 setup, how would that be different than what I've currently got listed? And it dawned on me this machine will be plugged into the router so I don't think I'd need a mother board with wifi, is there a better alternative than what I've listed or just stay with it and don't use the wifi?

Also I understand the the M.2 SSD's are faster but realistically where would I see any performance differences if choosing this of the 860 SSD?

And I suppose the same question goes for upgrading the video card to an RTX 2080 (or waiting for the QUADRO RTX4000). Where would I realistically see performance improvements? While I'm certainly not opposed to upgrading the video card from what I understand Photoshop & Lightroom don't rely all that heavily on the GPU, not sure about Capture One though.

Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated!

g-unit1111

Titan

Nearly all desktop motherboards come with a built in LAN port and it's usually advised that you use that over Wifi if you have it available. The built in Wifi is there if you don't have the LAN port connected. You don't have to use the onboard Wifi.

Also I understand the the M.2 SSD's are faster but realistically where would I see any performance differences if choosing this of the 860 SSD?

Most of the time it's recommended that you use multiple storage drives. Usually one for operating system and one for storage / programs. I would personally buy both on your budget - use a 970 Evo for the operating system and then use an 860 for mass storage. The nice thing is that we live in a time now where there's hundreds of storage options available and you don't need to use mechanical HDs.

And I suppose the same question goes for upgrading the video card to an RTX 2080 (or waiting for the QUADRO RTX4000). Where would I realistically see performance improvements? While I'm certainly not opposed to upgrading the video card from what I understand Photoshop & Lightroom don't rely all that heavily on the GPU, not sure about Capture One though.

I think that entirely depends on your monitor configuration and desired output. It is true that on Photoshop and most 2D drawing programs you won't see a benefit from a faster card. You would see a benefit from a faster CPU so you could theoretically move to something like a 16 core 1950X or a Core i9. So I would look into the performance benchmarks on CPU draw with the applications that you use.

Yes you can do that and add in extra 16GB of Memory when required for working on large projects and upgrade to 4K

There is no reason to go with X299 over Z390 lineup. You will loose performance as there is no practical gain over 8Cores and the higher IPC and Clock speeds available on Z390 platform CPUs makes a huge difference. If the machine will be plugged using ethernet then no problem you won't require WiFi but as you listed WiFi board in your listing we did as well.

In file read and write time you will definitely see difference. The larger the file size the more impact it will have. Wile working on larger project in future you will definitely see the difference. I recommend having HDD over SSD as your secondary storage drive. And better if you can get two and run in raid config raid1 is good for easy storage. Get two Barracuda 3TB drives and run them in raid.

QUADRO RTX4000 will be on par of RTX2070 performance but in addition you will be getting 10bit color support. As the performance of GPU does not scale well in Photoshop and Lightroom the overall performance will be similar and no different but when it comes to detail and perfection QUADRO is recommended.
As I recommended above get one of those professional grade monitors for 4K workload and you will get best results. But if you cheap-out on the monitor then there is no use in getting the QUADRO. There are 10bit monitors available at cheaper price point. The ones priced low are claimed to support 10bit colors but are not. They are basically 8bit + FRC monitors. Choose wisely.

Go for QUADRO only if you make earning out of it.