Low Odor Computing

hazelfish

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
I've got a unique challenge for you folks- my spouse has extreme allergies and we've determined that one trigger is the out-gassing of computers. (Symptoms have been noticed with a homebuilt desktop, as well as two different laptops.) So I need to build a desktop computer that does not overheat in any way (which would cause dust to vaporize or thermal paste to out-gas) or which has single air entry & exit (so all out-gassing can be vented away from user). The computer only needs to support low usage patterns (watching online news, playing music, word processing) but it needs to do so in a way spouse can use it without getting sick. Any suggestions?

The outsides of components on desktops typically don't get hot enough to vaporize dust with low usage like those. In fact you could touch them and it'll only be warm at most. Thermal paste shouldn't be out gassing after it cures. The more likely culprit is the plasticizers used in plastics and that will be an issue getting away from in most pcs or more likely the keyboard and mouse that will have to be close to them.

Having a long cord or going wireless to keep the pc away from them may help. You could also look at mini pcs which are passively cooling. Some have metal cases and are pretty much enclosed. The components shouldn't be getting hot from those usages but even if they did, the case is mostly enclosed and has no fan.

racksmith101

Respectable
If you want a cheap way to do it especially if you only want a pc for very basic use is to get a raspberry pi kit, it has wireless built in, is completely passively cooled and is tiny so it can be fitted to the back of a TV or monitor. I got mine a couple of years ago and came with everything you need out of the box (including a mini keyboard with touchpad) for about £50 and sits behind my TV. It runs a version of Linux not Windows but it's easy to setup and use.

I'd say build a filter box and place the computer inside. Have the exhaust fans push/pull the exhaust air through a Merv 13 or higher Hepa filter plus a carbon filter. Build the box to utilize furnace filters for lower filter costs and longer filter life. Fans to move air through the filter would need to be high static pressure like Noctua iPPC-3000. If built right this will remove anything from the air. Use some simple filter on the intake to prevent internal dust buildup and increase the useful life of the finer filters in the exhaust. Have an air gap of a few inches between the fans and filters so the entire filters can be used.

Run the cables through a hole which can clamp foam weather stripping around the cables to prevent leaks.

Besides brand new components. Burning off whatever is leftover from the factory. I can't imagine what sort of gasses would be emitted off a computer more than a few weeks old. If there is something. Wouldn't an LCD panel cause the same issues? It is full of electronics as well.

Are these allergy symptoms or eyestrain/nausea/headaches?
- Allergy could just be dust being kicked up. In which case a fanless open air setup may work.
- Perhaps one of these ready made filter enclosures would work (https://clean-aire.com/). My above idea filters in reverse, cost less to implement, but will require a lot of work and design and filter better.
- If you can find one there is the Mammoth Hepa filter case. Not sure how easy filters will be to find for it though.
- If nauseau/eyestrain/&c it could be neurological or vision problems.

hazelfish

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Thanks for your suggestions! I can't say what specifically in the computer is the triggering item, but spouse can smell it, and gets hives if he spends too much time near it. He's been using a laptop most recently, and has more itchiness issues on the side where the laptop's fan blows, so it really seems like whatever he's reacting to is coming out of the computer. He says it becomes more of a problem when he starts doing more on the computer- opening more than one window, watching the news on a website, etc. That's why I think heat is part of the issue- he's putting more load on the system, and all of the computers he's been trying are older and not built for high performance.

Our current plan is to save up to buy or build a computer that is unlikely to get hot at his usage level, and then put it into an additional box so we can filter the air being blown out.

Thank you!