[SOLVED] Understanding my Laptop

Dec 31, 2018
So, I've had this gaming laptop for 3 years now. It's a Levono 80DU. I am no computer expert, as in I understand the names, I understand what they are used for (RAM for graphics, CPU is the processor, and a few others.) but I have no idea what's better, what GHz is, and all that crazy stuff is. I'll explain more on here.
In DirectX it says I have;
System
Processor: Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU 2.60GHz (8 CPUS).
Memory: 16384MB Ram

Display
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Approx. Total Memory: 2160 MB
Display Memory (VRAM): 112 MB

Render
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Approx. Total Memory: 12203 MB
Display Memory (VRAM): 4055 MB

but one thing I'm confused about is within my computer's settings it says my RAM is 16.0 GB
That, I would just like to understand is all.

What I really started this for what about Framerate on games and such. See, I don't understand what the difference betwen the intel i5 and the intel i7 is. Is one better than the other or no? I have two things to help my laptop to stay cool but it still gets up there in tempurature.

Thank you! ~<3

Solution
An Intel I5 of your CPU's generation only has 4 cores and doesn't support hyperthreading. An i7 (like your CPU) has 4 cores but supports hyperthreading. What hyperthreading does is creates 4 virtual cores so that your CPU acts like it has 8 cores. You have the better of the 2 CPU choices. It is more complicated than that now, but that is basic difference.

GHZ is the speed of the CPU, 1 hz = 1 cycle = 1 action CPU can do ina second. so 1 Gigahertz = 1 billion cycles per second. So yes, PC are pretty fast and competent these days. Your CPU can do 3.6 billion cycles per second, potentially on multiple cores at once. https://ark.intel.com/products/78934/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-60-GHz-

Framerate in games in your PC...

Colif

Win 11 Master
An Intel I5 of your CPU's generation only has 4 cores and doesn't support hyperthreading. An i7 (like your CPU) has 4 cores but supports hyperthreading. What hyperthreading does is creates 4 virtual cores so that your CPU acts like it has 8 cores. You have the better of the 2 CPU choices. It is more complicated than that now, but that is basic difference.

GHZ is the speed of the CPU, 1 hz = 1 cycle = 1 action CPU can do ina second. so 1 Gigahertz = 1 billion cycles per second. So yes, PC are pretty fast and competent these days. Your CPU can do 3.6 billion cycles per second, potentially on multiple cores at once. https://ark.intel.com/products/78934/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-60-GHz-

Framerate in games in your PC is reliant on the NVidia GeForce GTX 960M more than your CPU for frame rate. As it uses the Nvidia GPU for gaming. It may use the Intel HD graphics for desktop use

Ram isn't just for graphics, without ram your PC wouldn't work. Everything that runs in Windows uses ram to run.

What might be confusing you is the fact both Graphics options show a ram total under them... that isn't their ram, that is shared system ram. The Vram is the cards ram, everything else is shared system ram they can use if they need more.
Graphics cards in Laptops often use system ram as well, so the ram total showing under the Intel graphics card is actually shared system ram - Intel gpu only really has 112mb of Vram. The GTX 960 probably has 4gb of ram itself but the other 8gb is going to be shared system ram.

The Laptop only has 16gb of ram that is shared between Windows and the Graphics cards. Just because they share it, doesn't mean other things can't use it. 16gb is probably enough ram for most people now, sort of depends what games you try to play.

Solution