Ips vs Tn 1440p

Oct 17, 2018
I'm looking at two monitors for my pc the one is asus desingo mz27aq and the other is a dell S2716DG both are 1440p. The asus is a ips panel with 60hz refresh rate and the dell is a tn panel with 144hz refresh rate with gsync and a 1ms response time. Now I play alot of open world games and some shooters to but more open world.My questions is would the dell be a better buy (I'm leaning towards the dell) and would the graphics look alot beter on the ips than the tn cuz I'm kind of upsest with graphics.I have also seen on the dell reviews that that tn panel is actually very good and close to ips color. I have a gtx 1080ti and a i7 8700 so I will be able to power both monitors.

Solution

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018

Your choice of the TN panel is fine.
If the IPS and TN monitors both have the same frequency (144 fps) AND price difference is not that significant to you, then I would definitely strongly suggest picking the IPS one.
However, as you stated, the IPS in your particular case has only 60 Hz, which gives no room for your 1080ti to perform, so yea definitely a No for me.

Regarding visual between IPS and TN, there is a noticeable difference. However, it will not be significant and should not be a deciding factor (at least for me) given that you will be sitting right in front of the monitor most of the time.

IPS panel gives more correct color output when being viewed at vastly diferent angles, whereas TN panel will suffer greatly if you look at it from an angle large enough. Most gamers don't look at their screen from an angle while playing games anyway lol :p

Now if you would ultimately get like an ultrawide monitor (like the AW3418DW 34''), an IPS panel would be awesome because you'll be constantly turning head to look at the far right and left side of the monitor.

In retrospect, your current choice is GOOD enough. If budget allows though, I would personally go for an IPS 144 Hz.

Solution