[SOLVED] HDMI to DP adapter 2k@165Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2019
I have the Zephyrus s, and I was wondering if there was an HDMI to DP adapter that would alloy me to run 165 Hz at 2k resolution on my monitor. My laptop only has an HDMI output

Solution
Yeah you've pretty much reached the limits of Hdmi. Theres no adapter that would improve your situation. However you may get away with creating a custom resolution 1080p @ 144Hz. 1440p at these refresh rates does require Displayport at both ends.

Also i've had a look at your monitor's manual and for vertical refresh for it's Hdmi connection is maximum of 60Hz in either 1080p or 1440p.
Jan 5, 2019

I'm aware that HDMI don't support 2k@165 Hz, i was able to find an adapter that ran 1080p at 120 Hz. I was more wondering if there was an adapter for a DP cable to connect into my laptop

Jan 5, 2019

I have the S2417DG Dell Gaming monitor

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah you've pretty much reached the limits of Hdmi. Theres no adapter that would improve your situation. However you may get away with creating a custom resolution 1080p @ 144Hz. 1440p at these refresh rates does require Displayport at both ends.

Also i've had a look at your monitor's manual and for vertical refresh for it's Hdmi connection is maximum of 60Hz in either 1080p or 1440p.

Solution
After looking at your laptop's specifications, it does have a DisplayPort over USB-C connector. It will have the DisplayPort logo next to the connector. You will need an adapter and a DisplayPort cable. I do not know if those came with your laptop. I suggest trying this out.

Your laptop's specifications:

1 x USB3.1 Gen2 Type-C with DisplayPort™ 1.2

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-S-GX531/Tech-Specs/

Jan 5, 2019

Okay thank you, would using a usb-c to DP cable with enough GPS be enough to run 2k @ 165Hz?

Jan 5, 2019

typo, haven't slept in a bit

boju

Titan
Ambassador
lolnole is on to something. Glenwing who frequents here at Toms has a guide at Linus with a nifty tool. Select usb c to Displayport.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/

I couldn't say 100% usb c to displayport will give you 165Hz at 1440p but 144Hz should be a really good shot.

Refer to your laptop manual to make sure this usb c port can deliver video.

Jan 5, 2019

Thank you very much, it does act as a displayport as well. I will try and look for a usb-c to DP cable that can run it. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.