Fresh Windows Install 970 EVO Samsung with 10 Pro. Plagued with constant crashing 1-30 minutes after startup please help.

Jan 8, 2019
Hello,

I have been having an issue with my new install of windows 10 on my 970 EVO 500GB.

The system itself runs like a champ from anywhere between 1-30 minutes before it crashes.

Event viewer just states that the system shut down unexpectedly and that is all.

Bluescreen I was able to catch once indicated a Clock_Watchdog_Timeout error.

I have checked the connections of my SSD and all of my hardware. All seems to be seated correctly on the board. I am worried it could be my M.2 970 EVO.

My system specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 2700X
16GB DDR4 3000 Ram Trident Z RGB (Name might be wrong)
EVGA 980TI 6GB GPU
970 EVO Samsung 500GB
650W EVGA Modular Power supply.
TUF B450 Plus Gaming Motherboard Asus

I have updated all drivers in system. Followed the M.2 Setup for my MOBO following guides online. Secured my M.2 with screw as instructed and setup windows from boot disk and updated my drivers manually from there. Samsung Magician has been downloaded and firmware is up to date.

Not sure if my MOBO is going bad or what. I look forward to any help I can get. SOS. I would greatly appreciate any wisdom you can impart onto me.

Should also be noted that the PC setup worked prior on my HDD which I still have on standby.

Solution
Yeah, cloning is worth a try, will remove some variables and if it still acts up... we worry about that then.

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Jan 8, 2019

Just got home from work and trying to debug with a friend.
Waiting for the PC to blue screen now.
I updated my bios and it is working will post again if it dumps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
@Karen: its normally drivers. We shall see what dumps blame once we have them. Clock watchdog is a CPU error but same as WHEA, it is very likely to be software caused and not the CPU

NP about dumps. the debugger can be hard to understand so let us know if you need help :)

Jan 8, 2019

It crashed after about 18 mins of running. I thought I was on the home stretch not sure if it actually dumped.... The PC froze completely no blue screen I let it sit and could not get it to blue screen at all at this point.

Jan 8, 2019

No dump sir.

I setup the way the tutorial told me to but the dump is not there.

Jan 8, 2019
@Colif

The PC has completely frozen no mouse movement I am staring at the page for this post now on it and I cannot move my mouse. My RGB Keyboard has stopped its default spiral and ctrl alt del does nothing. It's been like 5 mins waiting on this to blue screen but it has not.

Jan 8, 2019

So the PC just keeps freezing entirely. No mouse movement whatsoever and when I go to try and install something it locks up. This most recent time it locked when trying to install lightshot to get you some pics of my events and then after that it froze at a reinstall of the Samsung SSD drivers. Not sure if this will help with the diagnosis. It just stays frozen even when I wait for 20 mins+ and does not unfreeze.

My HDD does not have these issues whatsoever seems this SSD is having them from the start. Starting to think it may be refund time and get that 860 EVO 1TB I was seeing.

Any further thoughts or troubleshooting I should do?

Jan 8, 2019

I am seeing online that this ASUS mobo might not be compatible with the 970 EVO. Checked the 1 star reviews on Amazon and someone cited that certain motherboards are not compatible and that it causes issues similar to what I am experiencing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try putting hdd back in since it worked fine off it. If ssd was only change you had made, we could blame it. The windows install is what makes them different. Karen is right, it could be ssd or it might be just the fact you clean installed win 10 on ssd and it might have different drivers on it compared to hdd.

put HDD in and run some tests on the ssd (make sure BIOS is booting off right drive) such as HDTune - check the health tab and let it complete a SMART scan of drive

Samsung magician also has SMART built into it, it shows under the condition of the drive (I just happen to have latest version)

Colif

Win 11 Master

There is no compatibility list for NVME on here - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/ and nothing in FAQ section regarding HDD/SDD/Storage, so If I were you, I would check with Asus.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?69-General-Discussion

bad drive is another reason why you won't get dumps

Based on this

"My HDD does not have these issues whatsoever seems this SSD is having them from the start"

And that I have never heard of an incompatibility between an ASUS or any board and any Samsung drive, it must just be the drive itself. Can you return it for a replacement 970 ? (Stick with that model, it does work-I have that drive and an ASUS board- and will be quicker.)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is the 60gb an ssd or nvme?

if its hardware, we need to figure out what it isn't... impossible to really test Motherboard, we normally test everything else 1st to eliminate parts from blame. Repair shops have spare boards they know work, we aren't so fortunate

put hdd in since it seems to work
try this and test CPU using Prime95 - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

ram: Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Jan 8, 2019
60gb is a Kingston SSD I had from ages ago. It crashes when trying to download drivers from the internet. Nothing else. Might try to mitigate that by using a Usb drive to port the mobo drivers over.

Running cpu test and ram test now... thing takes ages to load thus the need for a faster storage device.

Jan 8, 2019

http://prntscr.com/m4qktd

Hoping this is what you were wanting me to do. It says to run this for 6 hours? Will check it when I get up tomorrow.

Jan 8, 2019

If all else fails do you think using the Samsung data migration tool to move my working OS to the SSD or NVME might be our best option? If it is a driver issue I think the only driver difference might be the NVME driver.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, cloning is worth a try, will remove some variables and if it still acts up... we worry about that then.

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution
Jan 8, 2019

Sofar cloned the drive and it is working like a champ. Will keep you posted for anything within the next hour but 20 mins no freezes. It was more than likely a driver issue.... The CPU test ran for 16 hrs with no errors. I did not get to the memory test but will do that tonight just in case. Thank you for your help. Will keep you posted if it starts to act up. You my friend are a godsend. This experience and help has made Tomshardware my go to forum. I commend you Colif and you too Karen. You guys are awesome!