[SOLVED] Problems with windows after Jan 11 update

alejandro_6

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
So its jan 11, i updated my pc last night while i was asleep, when i started it up it began with automatic repair process and after each restart it tried to do a disc checkup (which never made it farther tha 0%)
after multiple failed tries i gave up.
The message said
"Automatic repair could not repair your pc
Log file: F:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"
I DONT HAVE AN F: DRIVE!!!!

i have a C, D and E drive (C and E are SSD)
i checked C: drives storage usage on settings and it gave values with PB and EB instead of GB, (C drive is 128gb) and values were way over that.
After it stabilized it started showing a 884gb usage on the desktop, 139 gb on documents and 39.6gb on temp files (checked the temp files and the added up to 3.3gb but it still said it was at 39.6)

Every time i refresh the storage usage it gives crazy random values. )
o5vdPtM

Some functions dont work or are very slow (steam web browser just stays black) but map loading is blazing fast now.

i tried to reset windows but that failed as well at around 96%.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

Solution
F drive is C drive since it shows the path for Windows. What happens when you boot into auto repair is windows sets up a ramdrive similar to what it uses when Win 10 is installing itself, so all the drive letters get shuffled since windows always thinks it is C drive, even when its just a ramdisk. If its not a ramdisk, its the recovery partition acting as C temporarily

I would copy anything on C you want to save onto E and then remove E drive from power and clean install win 10.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html...

Colif

Win 11 Master
F drive is C drive since it shows the path for Windows. What happens when you boot into auto repair is windows sets up a ramdrive similar to what it uses when Win 10 is installing itself, so all the drive letters get shuffled since windows always thinks it is C drive, even when its just a ramdisk. If its not a ramdisk, its the recovery partition acting as C temporarily

I would copy anything on C you want to save onto E and then remove E drive from power and clean install win 10.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

reason you unplug E drive is cause win 10 has a habit of putting its boot partition on any spare drives it finds in PC and this stops it. You want the boot partition on C drive manly as if you remove other ssd, windows won't boot.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS