Issue with 144hz display

Jan 12, 2019
This isn't exactly a display issue, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. I just bought a 144hz MSI MAG series monitor. It is connected through display port, the monitor is set to 144hz and I have changed my display settings for the monitor to 144 hz.
My issue is that when playing black ops 4 I'm only getting 40 to 50fps. I'm not having this issue with any other games. I always run my games at unlimited framerate, but I have tried locking it to 120 and even 60, but no success. When I had my 60hz monitor connected, black ops 4 was displaying 120 to 160fps (I do understand that's not the actual frames I was getting from that monitor) I just don't understand why I'm not getting decent frames in this game. I'm not getting stuttering or anything. Thanks for any help!

Specs:
i7 7700 - 4.2GHz
EVGA GTX 1070 8GB
16GB ram

Solution
Yes if the resolution scale is set to over 100% it will actually render your game at a higher resolution than what you have it set to, using more of your gpu’s resources. Do you have msi afterburner installed so you can monitor your system while in game?

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
I had an issue with bo4 not allowing me to play at the framerate I wanted, I had to change a setting in nvidia control panel to fix it. It was the ‘preferred refresh rate’ line, and I had to set it to ‘highest available’. Also, in the actual in game settings, what is the framerate set to?

Jan 12, 2019

I've changed the nvidia control panel to the the highest available as well, forgot to mention that. Currently it is set to unlimited frames, but I've moved it around a few times to see if there was any difference. Also I've tried running in fullscreen windowed and regular full screen with no difference in fps. :/

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
There is a setting in bo4 that allows you to specifically set the refresh rate, as in 29.9hz, or 59hz or 144hz, unless you have the game set to fullscreen windowed mode. If it is set to full screen mode, then try the fullscreen windowed mode to see if that makes a difference. Also, make sure resolution scale is set to 100.

Jan 12, 2019

Oh sorry I missunderstood the refresh rate is set to 143.996hz. Are you talking about the resolution scale in the last part of your reply?

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Yes if the resolution scale is set to over 100% it will actually render your game at a higher resolution than what you have it set to, using more of your gpu’s resources. Do you have msi afterburner installed so you can monitor your system while in game?

Solution
Jan 12, 2019

That was my issue, for some reason the render resolution was set to 200. I brought it back down and now my frames are 10 times better. You are my hero for the day friend haha. Thank you very much!

TRENDING THREADS