Question Does reseating PC Components affects performance?

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
As the title says, I am curious because I gotten into a situation earlier this day.

My PC is fine yesterday, but when I boot it up it has no display and no keyboard or mouse functions then after a 5 or 10 seconds it will shutdown, then it will boot again and shutdown again and again endlessly.

I fixed this by reseating my PC Components and Clearing CMOS Battery.

I can't rely on POST beep codes because I have no motherboard speaker but I'm planning to buy some for future troubleshooting.

Can anybody enlighten me, thanks to all.

resetting the BIOS shouldnt effect performance unless you had an overclock profile running, it will return everything to stock.

Check your memory and CPU is running at the correct speed, all should be fine.

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

Thanks for the info but i'm not talking about BIOS or overclocking.

My point is about a component like GPU/CPU/RAM etc. if I unplugged/reseat them and put it again, does it affect performance.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It can, yes. It will not if everything is working normally. But what can happen in ANY point of connection (contacts in a socket / on the end of a cable connector) is that slowly an oxide film can build up on the metal contact surface and/or some dirt can get pushed into the contact area. This can effectively break the contact electrically. The simple act of carefully unplugging the connectors and re-connecting a few times (ALWAYS with power OFF!!!) can "scrub" the contacting surfaces clean so they work again. This is one of the simplest troubleshooting tools you can do, and it's free. But you must remember not to force things, and to be sure you do not disconnect something else and not notice that!