Using a better resolution second monitor than my laptop screen

Jan 18, 2019
I'm using an HP Envy laptop with 1920x1080, 60Hz refresh, and I'm on the verge of getting a second monitor for AutoCAD use. I'm looking at lower price-range monitors, but not the absolute bottom --$250-$350 or so. I've read that for modeling and rendering, 1920x1080 is the minimum, but higher is better. I've found a few candidates at 2650x1440, and with anywhere between 60Hz and 85Hz refresh rate.

My question is what will happen when I hook one of these up to my laptop. In the display settings the max resolution available is 1920x1080. Will Windows recognize the capabilities of the monitor and make that option available, or is the 1080p resolution part of my graphics card and that 1440p-capable monitor will have to use 1080p until I get a better computer?

I'm not very knowledgeable with computer components, and knowing there *is* such a thing as a graphics card is about as advanced as I can be -- I won't be able to tell you anything that's not listed in the "Advanced" section in the Display page. (dumb-ed down answers, please!!)

Thanks!!

Solution
It'll work but might need to make external monitor default display if laptop doesn't handle multiple resolutions at once. Chances are one monitor will upscale and still look ok.

I use a 1366*768 laptop on a 1080p TV. When i make TV the only display i get 1080p option.

There are power options in windows what to do if you close the lid. If you want it closed can set option to do nothing so the laptop doesn't go to sleep.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It'll work but might need to make external monitor default display if laptop doesn't handle multiple resolutions at once. Chances are one monitor will upscale and still look ok.

I use a 1366*768 laptop on a 1080p TV. When i make TV the only display i get 1080p option.

There are power options in windows what to do if you close the lid. If you want it closed can set option to do nothing so the laptop doesn't go to sleep.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS