[SOLVED] Looking for a good 1440p monitor for RTX 2070

James Foo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2014
I am currently looking for a 27 inch 1440p 1ms 144hz (or higher) display since upgrading to a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming OC 8GB.
I don't mind either IPS or TN panels because I am currently using a very old Dell (ST2410) monitor.

However, looking at how free sync monitors can work for an Nvidia GPU since the anouncements.
I am hoping anyone can recommend me a good alternative compared to the Asus ROG 278QR (Costs around RM2520, roughly USD 612). *If not, I may buy this but anyone can recommend within this budget.*

I mostly plays FPS games and TPS games such as PUBG, Battlefield, COD, R6, AC and etc.
And I wanna try having the most appropriate 1440p refresh rate and least input lag.

Current build:

Case: Cooler Master Haf Xm (side-window)
Processor: Intel I7-4790
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Ram: Kingston Hyper-x Fury 1866MHZ (16GB)
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming OC 8GB
PSU: Corsair AX860
HDD: 1x 2TB WD Green
1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda
1x 1TB WD Green
1 x 3TB WD Green
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
Optical: Asus Optical Disk

On a side note, do you guys think I should upgrade my rig? Like my Processor, Motherboard and Ram? They are almost 5 years old.

Solution
If your budget permits, look for 144/165Hz 1440p 16:9 IPS/VA monitors.
Ideally with GSync, if you have no problems with the NVidia Tax.
If you do not like the tax, try finding freesync monitors with similar specs.

My recommendation for GSync: Acer XB271HU, ASUS PG279Q
My recommendation for FreeSync monitor, try the GSync compatibility on your own risk: ASUS MG279Q

PG278QR is a TN monitor, I do not really like TN monitors due to the bad viewing angle.

Your PC is still ok most of the time. TO reach over 100 FPS could be tricky as you need quite a powerful processor too.
If you want to upgrade, wait until the next gen AMD and/or Intel arrived.
If your budget permits, look for 144/165Hz 1440p 16:9 IPS/VA monitors.
Ideally with GSync, if you have no problems with the NVidia Tax.
If you do not like the tax, try finding freesync monitors with similar specs.

My recommendation for GSync: Acer XB271HU, ASUS PG279Q
My recommendation for FreeSync monitor, try the GSync compatibility on your own risk: ASUS MG279Q

PG278QR is a TN monitor, I do not really like TN monitors due to the bad viewing angle.

Your PC is still ok most of the time. TO reach over 100 FPS could be tricky as you need quite a powerful processor too.
If you want to upgrade, wait until the next gen AMD and/or Intel arrived.

Solution

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Not the most well versed in monitors but this site has the specs to the g sync comparable monitors laid out in an easy to read format to help you make your decision.

https://www.pcgamer.com/g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors/