[SOLVED] Used car choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwcrellin

Reputable
I want to know which you guys would choose. 1999 Chevy S10 or 1999 Lexus GS300. Both are in the same 4-6k price range. Both come with 6-cylinder engines and rwd config. I drive in a sporty manner and prefer rwd and like more power than most 4-cylinder cars can provide. I think both would provide a smooth enough ride and both would get around 21-23 mpg.

Solution
A lexus will also be more expensive to fix. And if you prefer driving a sporty fashion, an S10 is the opposite of what you want. Unless you have an actual need for a pickup truck, get the lexus. Though for the price, I wouldn't get either one of those. I just bought an '04 Ram with a V8 less than a year ago for under $4k.

But as already said above, prior maintenance is everything on cars that old.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
A lexus will also be more expensive to fix. And if you prefer driving a sporty fashion, an S10 is the opposite of what you want. Unless you have an actual need for a pickup truck, get the lexus. Though for the price, I wouldn't get either one of those. I just bought an '04 Ram with a V8 less than a year ago for under $4k.

But as already said above, prior maintenance is everything on cars that old.

Solution

jwcrellin

Reputable
I'm leaning towards the gs 300 because the 2jz engines in those will run for 300,000 miles and because it's basically a supra engine, there are plenty of aftermarket parts available. With a 75-100 wet shot of nitrous, now that's the definition of a sleeper.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Speaking from experience. A pickup truck before cylinder de-activation will get worse than 20 mpg unless you have a really light foot. The Lexus is probably the way to go if you don't need a pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS