I might have fried my trusty old i7-2600K. Help appreciated

bluesycore

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hi guys,

Problem is that I have no signal to my monitors and I am using the onboard graphics.
I figured on board graphics dead means CPU is dead too?

I don't have a graphics card to plug in and test at the moment.

CPU fan and tower fans power on.
I have tried 2 monitors using HDMI, DVI and VGA cables and there is just no signal being sent to the monitors in any connection using different cables.

Is it possible that I fried my processor from having my PC tower on carpet and then using a big vacuum cleaner "around" it? Thinking maybe static, but I have done this a million times over the years.
Otherwise, there have been no other changes that I can think of from yesterday when it was working, to today after I vacuumed.

What would you check next to figure this one out?

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you !

General Specs:
Motherboard is Gigabyte Intel GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (old as my cat 8yrs?)
16GB RAM DDR3 (Old modules too 5yrs plus?)
EVGA 550 B3 80 plus Bronze Power supply (less than a year old)
1 SSD with WIndows
2 HDD with DATA

Check for a bios beep code. If you have a bios speaker plugged in you can listen for the beeps to determine what the problem is. If you don't have a bios speaker you can easily obtain one. They are very cheap.

bluesycore

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

Hi,
I removed everything and plugged back in and nothing.
Then, I removed the CMOS battery and tested it with a charge tester and it was dead! Still, I put it back since I don't have a replacement and it booted back up and now it works again.

I have ordered replacement batteries that will be here on Tuesday.
I wonder if it is safe to use the PC while this battery is in there dead?

I have to say that lately I have had several issues with this PC, but not sure if they could be related to the CMOS battery being dead.

For example, I have had a few random shut downs out of the blue and then took a couple of tries to get started.
Or I have had the message saying can't load operating system at startup and have had to restart from BIOS and make sure the main OS drive is selected.
Couple of days ago windows shut down unexpectedly and then it formatted a 4tb HDD with tons of personal info (had a backup), but still.. this PC has been driving me nuts lately.

Could all this be the CMOS battery issue? My motherboard and RAM and processor are old by now, so that is another thing to consider for these issues.

Thoughts are appreciated

Meluno

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
It could be the battery of your MB. Update the information as soon your battery arrives and you replaced it on your MB. But honnestly frying your CPU with a vacuum cleaner around it seems very unlikely. Since all the hardware is inside the tower and as the electricity law says thats the famous cage of I dont remember the name. So this means actually no spark can generate inside your tower. But who knows I could be wrong.
But bumping your tower while its running with your vacuum cleaner could result in a HDD bad partition where you will be forced to format it completelly. Thats not out of the question. Bumping accidentely your tower can happen very fast.

But with the unexpected restards or shutdowns, I had similar problems and it wasn't the CPU but the Motherboard and I had to replace it. Sometimes my PC restartet by itself even if I shutdown. That was weird.