Horizontal bar across monitor

Jan 22, 2019
I have encountered a strange issue on several of my colleagues workstations.

First of all, the majority of my coworkers are working on Lenovo desktops that are less than a year old (most being Lenovo V520s). Most of the machines are connected to dual monitor setups through HDMI or DP.

For the last few months, some of my colleagues have experienced that a horizontal bar pops up on one of the connected monitors. The bar is either entirely black or white and appears at the top or bottom. It can happen on either monior but never on both at the same time. The bar is typically 5 - 10 cm. in height and makes that part of the screen unusable.

It is possible to temporary fix the issue. To do so, I go the the screen settings, switch the setting from 'extended displays' to 'duplicated displays' and then back again. That always solves the problem here and now, but for some it can occur again within a few hours. It has happened up to four or five times in a single day

So far, the issue has occurred to 5 or 6 of my colleagues (all using newer Lenovo PCs with dual monitor setups). I have tried updating all sorts of drivers, installing all latest updates and even hard reset some of the machines. Yet to no avail. The official Lenovo support has no suggestions besides what I've already tried.

What is interesting is that is only happens on dual monitor setups. It should be noted that the affected people are using a variety of monitors (Dell, Samsung, HP etc.). Some use two identical brands and monitor sizes, others use two different brands and sizes.

Have any of you encountered the same problem? I feel like I have run out of options.
Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Mathias