Monitor Blinks Off When Light Switch is Pressed

thegoatfeeder

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
Hey guys, first time posting here, so I really hope i'm not breaking any rules or anything (I have had a look through them).

There was a similar thread to this in 2017, but I think my issues might be different.

Essentially, I am running my PC by HDMI into an Onkyo TXNR686 receiver, and out of that into an LG OLED C8 TV.

Whenever certain light switches. waste disposal or temperature thermostats are turned on the PC signal is lost for a second and then comes back. This doesn't happen with any other device that is passing through the receiver.

I have tried to get to the bottom of it in a few ways, I have noticed that if the PC is connected directly to the TV, there is no problem, however this isn't a great solution as my TV can't pass high quality surround to my receiver.

I have also read several threads on other sites and bought a Conditioner Strip and tried that, I have plugged both the amp and the PC into it, same result, I have tried PC into Conditioner Strip and amp into standard Surge Protecter, same result, and also the other way round (PC into surge protector and amp into conditioner strip) and that has also not worked.

I have also used a different input on the Amp and had the same issue.

I really am at kind of a loss, I can get an electrician out, but due to the fact it only happens when the PC signal is passed through the amp and no other devices are having the problem (Xbox, Sky TV Box, Blurry Player), I wonder if its something else.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks again folks

I think that basically what it is....is you are getting voltage dips when you do this>>>" light switches. waste disposal or temperature thermostats are turned on".

This is actually common....but what isn't common is for the voltage to dip low enough to see what you are seeing.

I think maybe the best and easiest solution would be to run on a UPS.

thegoatfeeder

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019

Thanks for this.

Just to clarify, why would this be an issue with the PC and not any of the other devices going through the amp?

Also, when you say UPS, do you mean something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Back-UPS-BE550G-UK-Uninterruptible-protected/dp/B002RX6NY0/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1548175752&sr=8-17&keywords=ups+power

Sorry about this, power issues really aren't my area

Jun 5, 2019
Sorry for bumping an old post, but did you ever find a solution for this problem? My setup is almost identical, and I'm running into the same issue. I'm contacting an electrician as well, but I was wondering if you had an electrician look at yours.

Thanks!

thegoatfeeder

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
Sorry for bumping an old post, but did you ever find a solution for this problem? My setup is almost identical, and I'm running into the same issue. I'm contacting an electrician as well, but I was wondering if you had an electrician look at yours.

Thanks!

Sorry for bumping an old thread again (that weirdly I also started!)

2 years on, I am still having this issue! I have tried a UPS - didn't help, a power conditioning strip - didn't work. I have even now got a new PC (I didn't get the new PC because of the issue!), and it's still happening.

I have had an electrician out and he couldn't get to the bottom of it, other than saying it was 'really weird'. So i'm still tearing my hair out, and the most valid suggestion i've had recently from friends is to move house!

TRENDING THREADS