[SOLVED] Two 144 Hz Monitors setup for a gaming laptop

Jan 23, 2019
Hi there,

I have a gaming laptop (I believe the model is Metabox Prime P670HS-G) that has these connections for monitors:
- 1 mini-DP
- 1 HDMI
- 2 USB-C connectors

Currently, I already own one monitor (acer XB240H), which is connected to my laptop using the mini displayport.

So now I'm wanting to add another 144hz monitor because my laptop monitor isn't really that great and I figured I could use a bigger monitor anyway (and essentially, not use the laptop monitor at all). However, given that I'm already using the only displayport connection to my laptop, what can I do so that I can achieve two 144hz monitor setup?

These are the things I can think of:
- I saw this https://www.ple.com.au/Products/621314/Startech-DisplayPort-to-2x-DisplayPort-MST-HUB
- Get another monitor with either USB-C or HDMI connection and connect it to my laptop

I heard some people say HDMI only supports up to 120Hz (which I guess is acceptable if I had to do it). As for USB-C... I'm not sure what's the best USB-C can deliver.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Solution
You can use HDMI if you get a monitor that supports 144 Hz over HDMI, like the ViewSonic XG2401. Not just any monitor will work though.