Solved

Core i7 950 3.5ghz on stock cooler. Max temp 75ºC

Successfully accomplished a stable overclock with the Core i7 950 at 3.5ghz no turbo mode at 1.2V



Core i7 950
GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R
G.skill 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V (Stock) Triple Channel Memory
Corsair 750 Watt Power Supply


****UPDATE*****

Still running strong at over 2 hour 30 mins.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core 950 5ghz stock cooler max temp
  1. A max temp of 75C seems a touch high in the P55 test.

    Have you run intel burn test?
  2. Daeus said:
    A max temp of 75C seems a touch high in the P55 test.

    Have you run intel burn test?


    No not yet, I was running a vairety of prime 95 test for 2 hours and the highest it peaked was 75-76C, That's not very high from what i read on the forums. The max temp rating for this cpu is 100C.
  3. I thought it seemed a bit high too, but 80C is where you don't want to be.
  4. Best answer
    Warm but not too high for the stock cooler. You will need an aftermarket fan to overclock any higher than that. Have you tried lowering the cpu voltage? My i7 920 did 3.5 on 1.1v, so you might be able to maximize heat and power a bit more.
  5. Cygnus x-1 said:
    Warm but not too high for the stock cooler. You will need an aftermarket fan to overclock any higher than that. Have you tried lowering the cpu voltage? My i7 920 did 3.5 on 1.1v, so you might be able to maximize heat and power a bit more.


    Ya I lowered the voltages a bit and it was still stable. I was at about 1.168V and it didn't crash.
  6. Make sure your stable because you don't want to corrupt the data on your drives. What did it do to the heat output?
  7. Cygnus x-1 said:
    Make sure your stable because you don't want to corrupt the data on your drives. What did it do to the heat output?


    2 hours steady should be long enough for a stable oc right? The heat out put lowered by a bit, went from 76C to 73C Max. I lowered the voltages last night btw.
  8. two hours steady in what? CCC or prime95?
  9. Cygnus x-1 said:
    two hours steady in what? CCC or prime95?


    Prime 95
  10. ok cool, 3c is 3c, keep lowering it until you have an error.
  11. Best answer selected by Gosu-Vu.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Intel i7 Overclocking