According to Asus monitor/sensor my Motherboard reached 140°C?

m9a2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Howdy!

After a session of overclocking, and with two hours in of a Prime95 test
with my i7-2600k running at 4.7GHz overclock on my Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard,
all of a sudden Asus monitoring software ''sensor'' motherboard temp
jumped from 29°C to an incredible ~140°C.

This was my following clock at the time I was ''experiencing'' motherboard temps of 140°C:
[:fixitbil]

Target CPU Turbo-Mode Speed: 4700MHz
Target DRAM Speed: 1600MHz (9-9-9-24-1T)
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
BCLK/PEG Frequency: 100
Turbo ratio: 47
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled
CPU Current Capability: 120~130%
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: T.Probe

CPU Manual Voltage: 1.35v
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.55v

On the other hand Asus monitor/sensor, Real Temp and HWMonitor never reported my
CPU of being above 68°C at full Prime95 load, which seems to me that the processor itself never was overheated.

Now what could be the cause of this, low volts resulting in instability?
My computer is operational, however I can't stop thinking about that something
actually might have gone wrong. Help me to find the cause!?

Thanks in advance
Mathias AA
M9A2

According to my logic, 140ºC aren't possible on your mobo, well, not possible if you want keep it running.

I know, that don't answer your questions but gives you an idea of that problem could be, wrong read temp by software?

m9a2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

I was almost set for my third hour of Prime95, the temps of the motherboard were below 30ºC,
but suddenly a warning message from Asus monitoring software ''sensor'' said that my motherboard
was running way to hot ~140ºC -> could it have been a ''temporary sensor'' malfunction or
maybe something to do with my voltage settings? Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Mathias AA
M9A2

m9a2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

I'm afraid not, since this happened almost a week ago, but I can assure you, the temperature reading scared the hell out of me.
In panic I hit the power switch -> restarted my computer -> got into the UEFI, and all the temperatures showed up normal.

Motherboard = ~28ºC
Processor = ~30ºC

I have still no idea of what caused the Asus monitor/sensor to report a motherboard temperature of ~140°C.[:graywolf:6]
Nothing to do with my voltage settings, right?

Thanks in advance
Mathias AA
M9A2

r8bwp

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

m9a2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Hi r8bwp,

I changed that motherboard two weeks ago,
and so far my processor and my new motherboard (Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3) is running fine.

I don't know what could have caused this, but after that happened I could only run my PC with one
stick of ram and my PC would freeze randomly (no matter what setting STOCK or OC),
so hardware malfunction = most likely.

- (I use the very same sticks of RAM as of today, both of them without failure).

Think you could tell me what you mean with ''seti' home enigma breaking...''
are you referring to your bios settings or a software?

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
If you are running more than one temperature monitoring program that could also be the cause of such readings. The other day EVGA Precision reported temps of 146*C on my GTX480 and HW Monitor reported temps of 25*C, after rebooting and only using one program the temperature readings were fine and I had no problems.

On my old ECS board apparently some temperature node was picking up temps of 160*C, the board has worked for more than a year and is still going strong. I think in your case it is also a fake reading.