£500 Budget for either GTX 480 or Water Cooling

Hi all,

The GTX 260 OC'd seem to run ok and really want to pop my cherry with water cooling on the other hand GTX 480 is out next month.
As a keen overclocker, full water cooling kit is a must at some stage, at the moment i have a sheepish H50 DIY kit as follows,

QX6850 @ 3.33Ghz (H50 Water Cooler)
GTX 260 @ 690Mhz Core / 1174 mem
4GBDDR2@ 1066Mhz
Corsair TX850watt

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jno6guJMXuk/S5ujk19SF2I/AAAAAAAAAPU/r6ECCXsDD0I/s1600-h/2010.03.12+Final+System+x1050.jpg

Budget: £500 budget
Preferd online retailer: ebuyer / scan / overclockers
Prefered Manufacture: Any
Deadline: 27th March 2010

Direct X 11 Option 1) GTX 480
Silent OC'd Option 2) A>New Case maybe Coolmaster CM 690 II,
B>2nd GTX 260
C>CPU/GPU Water Cooling Kit

Any comments would be most helpful.
7 answers Last reply
More about 500 budget gtx 480 water cooling
  1. Well, what is your aim with the upgrade?

Wanna overclock for fun? Go for C.

But really, no matter how good a kit you get, there is no way that it will even come near the performance of getting a GTX 480.

Could compromise and go for B, i guess, but that would make C more expensive, should you decide to go for that as well at later stage.

What about switching to hexa-core when AMD releases their new proc? :)

I know what I'd choose - the GTX 480. Well, actually, I'd probably wait and see what ATI counters with...
  2. I would just go with the GTX 480

I would estimate it has the power/capability of 3 or 4 GTX 260's

Okay........now you either have to go with option C or save up some money

But here's what i would do:

1. GET A GTX 480 (when it comes out)
    2. Keep your H50 if it's working fine with u now
    3. Build a full watercooling kit just for your GPU since it runs REALLY HOT and it's probably best to run it by itself (only if you have space for another radiator)
    ---OR---
    3. Build a full watercooling kit for the GPU and the CPU and get a really big radiator for it

Also, i dont know if your motherboard can support crossfire or sli but you can always look into a Radeon 5870 or a 5970

****How did u get ur hands on a reference card?!?!
  3. Thanks for your quick replies, i agree with you both just wait for benchmarks.

The board is Tri-SLI only so better keep to Nvidia
  4. if you look on youtube there's some Heaven benchmarks out there and there's one that shows you how good it is compared to the 5870 so it's going to be a little better with the added on feature of 3d vision for multiple displays
  5. jeff77789 said:
    I would just go with the GTX 480

I would estimate it has the power/capability of 3 or 4 GTX 260's

Okay........now you either have to go with option C or save up some money

But here's what i would do:

1. GET A GTX 480 (when it comes out)
    2. Keep your H50 if it's working fine with u now
    3. Build a full watercooling kit just for your GPU since it runs REALLY HOT and it's probably best to run it by itself (only if you have space for another radiator)
    ---OR---
    3. Build a full watercooling kit for the GPU and the CPU and get a really big radiator for it

Also, i dont know if your motherboard can support crossfire or sli but you can always look into a Radeon 5870 or a 5970

****How did u get ur hands on a reference card?!?!

GTX 480 1st i totally agree now what was i thinking :D
    maybe slap another in a full water cooled case just in time for Crysis 2 now that would be awesome, im just dreaming now :D
  6. if you are going to get a new case for watercooling i would personally recommend getting a full tower like the cooler master cosmos S.

i personally like it when you can see into your case and everything is nice and neat. its psu is mounted on the bottom and that allows for a crap load of room above the mobo for you to mount a radiator inside your case.

if you dont care about where your radiator is mounted then the CM 690 II is fine :)
  7. well i c ouldn't ignore the hype, went to the SCAN Nvidia Launch event and pre-ordered one 470 hopefully get another in furture for SLI so ive decided to leave water cooling for now heres a few little mods to my case to keep me going, hope you like :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Water Cooling Overclocking