Sign in with
Your question

£500 Budget for either GTX 480 or Water Cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
March 18, 2010 10:19:41 AM

Hi all,

The GTX 260 OC'd seem to run ok and really want to pop my cherry with water cooling on the other hand GTX 480 is out next month.
As a keen overclocker, full water cooling kit is a must at some stage, at the moment i have a sheepish H50 DIY kit as follows,

QX6850 @ 3.33Ghz (H50 Water Cooler)
GTX 260 @ 690Mhz Core / 1174 mem
4GBDDR2@ 1066Mhz
Corsair TX850watt

Budget: £500 budget
Preferd online retailer: ebuyer / scan / overclockers
Prefered Manufacture: Any
Deadline: 27th March 2010

Direct X 11 Option 1) GTX 480
Silent OC'd Option 2) A>New Case maybe Coolmaster CM 690 II,
B>2nd GTX 260
C>CPU/GPU Water Cooling Kit

Any comments would be most helpful.
March 18, 2010 11:49:13 AM

Well, what is your aim with the upgrade?

Wanna overclock for fun? Go for C.

But really, no matter how good a kit you get, there is no way that it will even come near the performance of getting a GTX 480.

Could compromise and go for B, i guess, but that would make C more expensive, should you decide to go for that as well at later stage.

What about switching to hexa-core when AMD releases their new proc? :) 

I know what I'd choose - the GTX 480. Well, actually, I'd probably wait and see what ATI counters with...

March 18, 2010 2:22:02 PM

I would just go with the GTX 480

I would estimate it has the power/capability of 3 or 4 GTX 260's

Okay........now you either have to go with option C or save up some money

But here's what i would do:

1. GET A GTX 480 (when it comes out)
2. Keep your H50 if it's working fine with u now
3. Build a full watercooling kit just for your GPU since it runs REALLY HOT and it's probably best to run it by itself (only if you have space for another radiator)
---OR---
3. Build a full watercooling kit for the GPU and the CPU and get a really big radiator for it

Also, i dont know if your motherboard can support crossfire or sli but you can always look into a Radeon 5870 or a 5970

****How did u get ur hands on a reference card?!?!
Related resources
March 18, 2010 9:16:55 PM

Thanks for your quick replies, i agree with you both just wait for benchmarks.

The board is Tri-SLI only so better keep to Nvidia
March 18, 2010 9:20:02 PM

if you look on youtube there's some Heaven benchmarks out there and there's one that shows you how good it is compared to the 5870 so it's going to be a little better with the added on feature of 3d vision for multiple displays
March 18, 2010 9:22:15 PM

jeff77789 said:
I would just go with the GTX 480

I would estimate it has the power/capability of 3 or 4 GTX 260's

Okay........now you either have to go with option C or save up some money

But here's what i would do:

1. GET A GTX 480 (when it comes out)
2. Keep your H50 if it's working fine with u now
3. Build a full watercooling kit just for your GPU since it runs REALLY HOT and it's probably best to run it by itself (only if you have space for another radiator)
---OR---
3. Build a full watercooling kit for the GPU and the CPU and get a really big radiator for it

Also, i dont know if your motherboard can support crossfire or sli but you can always look into a Radeon 5870 or a 5970

****How did u get ur hands on a reference card?!?!

GTX 480 1st i totally agree now what was i thinking :D 
maybe slap another in a full water cooled case just in time for Crysis 2 now that would be awesome, im just dreaming now :D 
March 28, 2010 7:46:45 AM

if you are going to get a new case for watercooling i would personally recommend getting a full tower like the cooler master cosmos S.

i personally like it when you can see into your case and everything is nice and neat. its psu is mounted on the bottom and that allows for a crap load of room above the mobo for you to mount a radiator inside your case.

if you dont care about where your radiator is mounted then the CM 690 II is fine :) 
March 28, 2010 9:25:39 PM

well i c ouldn't ignore the hype, went to the SCAN Nvidia Launch event and pre-ordered one 470 hopefully get another in furture for SLI so ive decided to leave water cooling for now heres a few little mods to my case to keep me going, hope you like :D 
!