Dell - Studio XPS Desktop with Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor

Elliryx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
This is my new computer i just bought 2 weeks ago. im thinking about overclocking it? is it possible? and also i want to buy the Corsair Dominator Memory. i just need help because im new to overclocking and i dont want to fry my motherboard. pls HELP me thx this is a Dell pc i got from bestbuy thank you
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7

Processor Speed2.66GHz

Cache Memory8MB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM)4GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To12GB

Type of Memory (RAM)DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive TypeSATA (7200 rpm)

Hard Drive Size640GB

GraphicsATI RADEON HD 4850

Video Memory512MB

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
why do you need to overclock it... it seems too much of a mainstream pc to overclock. does it use a dell proprietary mobo? your risk could be higher, and obviosly youd void the warranty for the whole system... how much was it, the 899 one? honestly if you were to get into overclocking, you shoud start with custom built sys so that if you do fry a part youd have only wasted the amount that part was, instead of voiding the whole sys warranty

i dont mean to sound like a negetive nag but, the price : performance gain ratio is a lil high consodering the risk involved, good luck!!

Elliryx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
ahhh ok i only use my pc for WOW (dota) Counter Strike and Ragnarok Online. but it came with a 4 GB Memory. and i want to make it to 9GB Memory is that possible? and also id like to buy the Corsair Dominator? or i should just buy the Corsair dominator 6GB Memory and dont use the other 4 memorys that i have i got this pc for 999 @best buy. how do i find out which motherboard i have? to make sure i buy the right Memory for my pc ty

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
im guessing you have 4 total, you would get a speed increase if your mobo does the tri-channel set up, but then your stuck in 3 of everything, leaving the 4th slot to spare... unless youd prefer the memory over the memory speed... if your gonna go for 6gb or more anyway, then tri channel 6 or 12... otherwis youll be using 6bg in the three then 1 more from the left over memory that came with the system

ahappycamper

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
hello. i have the same system. upgraded to 6 gig. bad news the mobo is gateway locked so no overclocking. good news is the processor does not need it. spend money on fast hdd or raid setup and you will be happy

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
corsair dominators are good, though you wont notice That much of a performance out of it unless its in a crazy oc rig... and what he means is possibly going for a western digital velociraptor (300GB=$150-230) hard drive as your windows system drive. or getting a couple of well spec'd hard drives (like 1.5TB=$130-200 ones if i might add, cus theyre bout as expemsive as the Velociraptors...) and doing a striped raid array. If you dont know what that is....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

ahappycamper

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
fast hdd are the western digital raptor drives for random accessing .the memory i purchased was crucial pc 10600 lower end stuff because i found out there was no chance to overclock. i have put them through several stress tests and they are as good as the oem samsung units.

Elliryx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
@ Silversurfernhs & ahappycamper thank you for the help can you give me the link of which one should i buy? do i need to upgrade my power supply or ill just put them in? sorry im really new and thank you again

ahappycamper

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
power supply is fine i also upgraded video card and have no power issues. there are articles in toms hardware on various drive for their performance . for raw performance raptors in raid configuration , also the most expensive . lower priced 500 to 750 gb in raid 0 may be your solution for a shallower pocket. i usually buy from newegg.com . have fun

Elliryx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

what is raid configuration? like if i need to buy something can you put here like the list because ive been searching for it and i dont know which one to get pls thankyou

Elliryx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
is this the one you are telling me? Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM if it is let me know so i can buy it right away thank you

Elliryx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Silver is RAID and the Velociraptor the same? can you just give me like the stuff i need to buy? i already know what to buy for the memory im thinkg off getting 12GB memory Crucial for the HDD which one should i get? if you dont mind give me atleast 1 or 2 and do i need to get rid of the one i have if i buy that velociraptor?

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
no no no no, im sory if ths confused you. RAID is usually an onboard soft/hardware component of your motherboard, which you most likely have. to confirm this you have to boot into your bios and look for these settings, you can change these settings to such in the links that ive provided. im assuming you have 1 or even 2 drives in your computer already, you wont have to replace them, unless you want to, but you can add them to your current setup as long as you have the room in your case, enough cables from the psu/ motherboard and enough power from your psu as well (you shouldnt have to worry about that...) once you have everything connected you can boot into the bios and change raid settings

now as far as what you buy, if your 640GB drive is in fact a single drive (you can check by opening the case and looking...lol) then a good solution might be to buy one Velociraptor and then a second 640GB drive for a total of around 1.1tb of storage and obviously the 300GB veloci for the main boot drive and software.

640GB = $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Hard+Drives-_-Western+Digital-_-22136218

300GB veloci = $250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322

Elliryx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
ahhh ok so ill buy the 300GB Velocity? then ill take it to bestbuy geeksquad ask them to install it for me? that will cost probably $100 for everything and they will do all the bios and stuff right? so ill just tell them to make the Velociraptor to make my main boot device? and then the one i have right now is "600GB" ill tell them to make it a slave? am i thinking right? im sorry hehe im so noob about this. :D thank you again for helping

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Don't get the Velociraptors, waste of money.

Grab two (or more) Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives. The 640GB would be your best bet.

If you want faster boot times, grab the smallest/fastest solid state drive you can find and put your OS on there, then use the RAID setup for your programs/storage.

Elliryx

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives this has 7200rpm is that fast enough? so if i buy this "Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives" <-- all i have to do is install it? then im good to go?

7k RPM is good enough for most people. Unless you move large amounts of data regularly (ie video editing) you don't need 10k rpm drives.

And yes, all you have to do is install it, change boot order in BIOS and format it. That's it.

zerotrader

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I want to buy Dell Sudio XPS I7-920 but wonder, is it possible to set up ATI Crossfire on it. I know build-in 4850 can handle 2 monitors, but I need to run the system on 3 monitors. Thank for all input.