Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility

frenchsquared

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
feel free to move this post

is it possible that Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility wont install because the processor has been overclocked?

I have no idea what to do. I installed vista and I keep getting a SM Bus controller error. Item unknown to device manager.
Vista is very slow and usb ports wont work. When i try to install the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility I get some error about not correct hardware. I know what chipset I have i bought it.

HELP ive been fight this install for a week.
Xp has more issues then vista,
I dont care what os I just want one working again

asus p5nd2-sli
p 945 d oc 3.9
4gb pc5300
2 sata hd

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
I think I remember this happening to me too. If memory serves me, I ended up installing each driver by itself. But the trick is, in the readme file it tells how to unpack the install and leave the inf files in the install directory. You have to launch the exe file from a cmd line and include a switch. /A or /A /A (something like that). Then I just went to each device and updated driver and pointed to this directory and it would install the latest ones. Had to do it for each device which took a little while. Not sure if this was the easiest way, but it worked for me. Other thing you could try is buy into drivershq.com. You can install their update program, it checks versions of drivers you have installed and tells you if they are out-of-date and has a direct link to download the correct one. However I think for me it still just tried to install the Intel chipset install util and I still had to do it the way I listed above for the chipset devices.