Sign in with
Your question

What can you do with a £30 CPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 14, 2007 8:35:20 PM

Well, 5GHz that's what... http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=208064

And I was not even trying that hard to get this far, first try was 4.5, second was 5, then 5.25 didn't boot so back to 5... Run an hour of prime and it's looking stable.

Will meet my needs for a while..

More about : cpu

June 14, 2007 8:58:38 PM

Well you did lost your warrenty on that, imagine it will die and you lost that 30 8O

:lol: 

But that's a really nice OC :wink:

lot's of gaming pleasure i wish to you :lol: 
June 14, 2007 9:03:44 PM

What's the temps running?
Related resources
June 14, 2007 9:05:09 PM

not to doubt about ure honesty but a pentium 4 with a 65nm chip ? :?

i thought the 65nm cpus where relativly new or came with the c2d`s ?
June 14, 2007 9:16:34 PM

Quote:

idle at 42, it can hit 62 with burn in running...
June 14, 2007 9:17:18 PM

yes the cedar mill's are 65nm, and congrats on your OC on air. That's like a 2.5 Ghz single core "core".
June 14, 2007 9:21:32 PM

Quote:
Well, 5GHz that's what... http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=208064

And I was not even trying that hard to get this far, first try was 4.5, second was 5, then 5.25 didn't boot so back to 5... Run an hour of prime and it's looking stable.

Will meet my needs for a while..

That's a nice overclock - i'm impressed! What cooler are you using?

I might get myself some liquid nitrogen and try for 5ghz with my C2D...
June 14, 2007 9:49:38 PM

Quote:

idle at 42, it can hit 62 with burn in running...

That's pretty good.
June 15, 2007 3:07:08 PM

Quote:

he is using 9700, see his sig

Quote:
Pentium4 631@5GHz/Zalman 9700/1.375v
June 15, 2007 4:42:40 PM

Quote:

he is using 9700, see his sig

Quote:
Pentium4 631@5GHz/Zalman 9700/1.375v

No sig appearing for me...weird.
June 16, 2007 7:49:56 AM

I'm not sure if I can believe this.... I don't think I've heard of a Pentium 4 running at 5 ghz on air.

But if it is true, maybe you can help me. I've been trying to get my Pentium 4 to a little higher speed. I have the Pentium 4 640. So it is still 90nm, but I think I should still be able to get it past where I am currently. right now, I can't get it past 3.59 Ghz. (224 FSB) I have no idea why. I have increased voltages to everything, all while putting the RAM on a divider. And it still won't go past 3.59 Ghz. It's really frustrating.

I actually got it to about 3.9 Ghz a few months ago. But I set it back down, because I wanted it to run a little cooler. I have no idea what's wrong with it now. I have good airflow, good heatsink. Temps are never that high.

I want more out of my processor!

Nice job on the 5Ghz though...
June 16, 2007 8:56:07 AM

you are not going to get 5GHz (or even close) with 90nm, period...

But the 65nm cedar mill chips are amazing little things, you take advantage of the very deep pipeline the P4 had (30+ stages) and the bang up to date process tech, result - huge clocks are possible.

I made sure I had the last D0 stepping of the cedar mill as this has a TDP of only 65W at stock, making cooling at high clock speeds much easier.

It was only Prescott that gave the P4 such a bad name, Intel did a good job of the Netburst arch on cedar mill (I guess what Prescott should have been from the start) but by the time they arrived it was too late to save the P4, core was 2 or so months away.
June 16, 2007 9:09:31 AM

I'm not looking to get anywhere near 5 Ghz anyway. I just want to get more than I have. Like 3.8. or maybe 4, if possible.

Yeah, I got mine like a year and a half ago, when I didn't know anything about computers.

It's just frustrating knowing I can have more, and being stuck at 3.59 Ghz. It was funny, becasue at first I wanted to get 3.6 Ghz. and I could only get to 3.59 lol.

But I want more because I think it is holding back my x1950pro. Overclocking the videocard gives almost no performance gain. And lowering resolutions and settings doesn't help much with frames. So that leads me to believe that my processor is a bottleneck. If I could get a few hundred more Mhz, that would be nice.

My motherboard doesn't support C2D's and I don't have money right now for upgrading everyhing.
June 16, 2007 9:35:37 AM

What motherboard do you have, do you know it's not the MB with the issue? What is the top FSB speed supported?
June 16, 2007 9:53:47 AM

Quote:
you are not going to get 5GHz (or even close) with 90nm, period...

But the 65nm cedar mill chips are amazing little things, you take advantage of the very deep pipeline the P4 had (30+ stages) and the bang up to date process tech, result - huge clocks are possible.

I made sure I had the last D0 stepping of the cedar mill as this has a TDP of only 65W at stock, making cooling at high clock speeds much easier.

It was only Prescott that gave the P4 such a bad name, Intel did a good job of the Netburst arch on cedar mill (I guess what Prescott should have been from the start) but by the time they arrived it was too late to save the P4, core was 2 or so months away.

I definetly agree with you on the point about Prescott giving the Netburst uArch a bad name. The Northwood was a very good CPU, trounced the AMD K7 chips and was a great overclocker (I still have my 2.8 Northwood running at 3.6 on the stock cooler).

Imagine if they'd kept the basic Northwood design, added cache, added HT and put them on 65nm. I reckon that would've been a great little chip!
June 16, 2007 10:24:01 AM

My motherboard is the Abit AL8-V seen Here

When I bought it from newegg(months ago) the reviews all said it was pretty much made for overclocking. And it does come with overclocking software.

I think it might be the motherboard though. Because I put my brothers processor in (Pentium D 805) and I couldn't even get it to 3 Ghz. But that's what's weird, because the FSB is even lower with that processor. IT's like the motherboard doesn't want me to overclock to much.

My RAM is cheap 533Mhz Patriot RAM, but I put it on a divider so it runs at 400 something. I increase the voltages to everything. Nothing works.

The only thing I can think of is the power supply, but I bought it recently and it is pretty good. It can be seen Here

But yeah, the top rated speed for the motherboard is 1066 FSB. So I should be fine. Especially with my brother's Pentium D 805.

With my processor, anything above 224FSB (16x multiplier) it says "No input signal" It's the same for my brother's processor, but above 149 FSB (20x multiplier)
June 16, 2007 11:31:38 AM

Thats interesting because they are both failing at exactly 12% overclock from stock FSB... I think your issue is PCI express speed, is there an option to set the PCIe clock to 100, its probably set to auto at the moment and this kills overclocking..
June 16, 2007 11:47:12 AM

Definately a nice overclock.Keep up the good work.And ya,what cooler you using again???

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
June 16, 2007 11:48:05 AM

Quote:
Definately a nice overclock.Keep up the good work.And ya,what cooler you using again???

He's using a Zalman 9700 i think...
June 16, 2007 12:00:40 PM

I'm pretty sure it's set to 100. But I'll check again. It'd be funny if that was it... after all these months, lol.

Thanks for the help.
June 16, 2007 12:22:53 PM

I have been looking at the BIOS setup of your mobo (manual off Abit's web site) - make sure...

PCIe Clock Adjust is set to 100
N/B Strap CPU is set to 1066
DRAM Frequency is set low as possible to start
June 16, 2007 12:24:09 PM

omfg. I love you. so much.

It was seet to 100. and I thought,"Ah. why not." I set it to 110.

I increased the FSB to 225. it worked. I increased it to 226. It worked. I inreased it to 230, 235,240,245.

I am running at 3.92 Ghz. right now. I know I can go higher too. I just wanted to post this really quick to thank you. Even thought you didn't really help. you still gave me the idea.

I wonder why it's like that though.... when everyone always says to never touch it.... it's just weird.

But I'm trying for 4 Ghz now. thanks. I love you.

Edit: Yeah. I got to 4 Ghz. at 3.92, I had to increase the PCI-Express frequency thing again. Just a little. But I got up to around 4.16 Ghz. I decided to back down a little to a nice round number. 4 Ghz. In the beginning, I rasied the coltages kind of high. So I started to lower them to see how low I could go. I got all the way back down to the lowest voltages. I just can't believe it. This has been so exciting. I haven't done any testing yet, but I don't mind adding a little extra voltage if I have to.

And it still runs about 31C idle, same as before. And that's with all my case fans on low (Antec 900). I haven't checked load temps yet. But this is really nice. I'm so happy. Thank you.
June 16, 2007 1:26:39 PM

i was having a p4 631 too in a ds3. i just slightly upped the Vcore and set the FSB at 245 and it booted up but my temps were rising it was on artic freezer 7. so i came back at stock and there was no need for ocing because now i use my e6420
June 16, 2007 4:08:43 PM

nice one dude, i'm suprised it's got enough power @1.37 or whatever it is, i'm interested in OCing my Pentium4 3.4Ghz HT but i'm yet to figure out how to flash my bioas from in windows with Asus Probe II lol

anyway, any ideas?

ATM:
Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz 800FSB
Akasa AK-961
Default = 30-38deg
1.32v

What should be ok to OC it to??
June 16, 2007 6:06:53 PM

So I was searching under "pci express frequency" at google. And I came to a thread that was like a year old. One guy said:

"100mhz is the technical speed for pci-e

however, on some chipsets things work a little funky and setting it to other values can be handy. For example, on 945-based boards in order to post over 224fsb you typically need to set the pci-e frequency to a value of about 118mhz or so."

Okay, so I wish I knew that earlier. And everyone always said to not touch it. (I do have a board based on 945) Yeah, this just would have helped a while ago.

Are there any disadvantages to increasing the pci-express frequency? I had it up at around 121 when I was getting my P4 above 4.3 Ghz. And then I realized the bios stopped recognizing my hard drive. So Iset it back down a little.

Is there anything really bad about doing that? Other than the whole hard drive thing?

Thanks for the input.
!