Sign in with
Your question

how much I can overclock my Q6600 at ‑271°C???

Last response: in Overclocking
May 1, 2007 4:14:07 PM

At the beginning of April, a 3.3-km section of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was cooled to a chilly ‑271°C, just a couple of degrees above the lowest temperature possible, absolute zero, and colder than outer space! Sector 7-8 (an eighth of the accelerator) thus becomes the world's largest superconducting installation cooled by superfluid helium.

I reckon at those temps the Q6600 wont need a heatsink and a fan, and can be overclocked to maybe 26,000 ghz...

More about : overclock q6600 271c

May 1, 2007 4:27:36 PM

LOL that would sure keep the temp down, but that not the only factor in OC.
May 1, 2007 5:38:05 PM

Quote:
ever heard about THE cold bug 8O

Is it present in Conroe? I thought it was only present in some uArchs (such as K8). I've yet to hear of the cold bug appearing in the Conroe uArch.
Related resources
May 4, 2007 3:43:28 AM

Are you talking about OC'ing a CPU in outer space?? If soo then No overclocking is possible. Doesnt matter that the temperature is very cold. there is nothing to tranfer the heat to and thus the CPU would overheat in no time flat. In the vacuum of space there is no atmosphere, therefore not molecules to absorbe energy, therefore instant overheating.
May 4, 2007 11:51:32 AM

Just imagine how cold that keyboard would feel :) 
May 4, 2007 12:37:26 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about OC'ing a CPU in outer space?? If soo then No overclocking is possible. Doesnt matter that the temperature is very cold. there is nothing to tranfer the heat to and thus the CPU would overheat in no time flat. In the vacuum of space there is no atmosphere, therefore not molecules to absorbe energy, therefore instant overheating.

how about dark matter? :lol: 
May 4, 2007 2:25:41 PM

Well even though that is not what he is talking about, OCing in space. Maybe liquid cooling would work in space, if you could keep it from freezing.
May 4, 2007 2:47:52 PM

So how is temperature maintained in satellites, space crafts, and the space station. I think it is with radient cooling.

Just like the heat from the sun reaches us.
May 4, 2007 3:06:42 PM

wouldnt absolute zero crack the processor, board, etc?

I'm not sure, and i'm not a physicist... so dont be all hateful...just curuios.
May 4, 2007 3:25:24 PM

At To, your electrons wont move, so youre exactly at 0 MHz
May 4, 2007 4:05:01 PM

At -271c the processor would be soo cold that information transfer rates would slow down ( the point of doing these experiments).

So your Q6600 might run at 50mhz or slower.
May 4, 2007 8:22:14 PM

Quote:

how about dark matter? :lol: 

what about it? do you need some? I have a little left but I'll have to dig around for it and see.
May 4, 2007 9:07:51 PM

I wonder what dark matter tastes like? Maybe you would need to heat your computers in at near absolute zero. so it would be a matter of when to turn the heat down, not how cool can you keep it.
May 8, 2007 10:57:55 AM

Hi,

With those temperatures it seems you are cooling with liquid nitrogen.

keep in mind that somewhere around -146 the cpu loses its stability, just like overheating, the only difference is that this won't cripple your cpu as + 146 would do.

-200 or lower is too cold for the cpu and you should try to going up to about -140 or a tad higher to get your cpu stable.
!