e4300 1.4v @ 3.48Ghz 48°c IDLE w/Freezone! (WHY SO HOT?)

CheahaDR

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Okay guys, I didn't know where to turn with this question as I have exhausted all other avenues of research on this topic.

Running a e4300 at 1.4v and getting 3.48Ghz out of it (can go well past 3.5 but temps smokin'). Only issue is that this puppy is hot and has bested me repeatedly at keeping it cool. With a Aquagate 120 (water cooler with Cermique) was idling at 50 degrees and going to 79+ at full load. So I dropped the 120 and purchased a Freezone by CoolIT with AS5. Guess what, now I idle at 48 degrees running the Freezone at full tilt.

It just seems like my temps are high compared to everyone else, no matter what I do. I know I'm being fairly aggressive with my overclock, but others I have seen are getting lower temps with air cooled rigs. The Freezone is supposed to be the s***.

I have read about lapping and now I'm starting to wonder if my processor is concave as I have heard of some e4300s that were. I am using artic silver 5 (comes on the bottom of the Freezone, stock) and am considering switching to Shin-Etsu x23. I have plenty of airflow in the case, so I really am stumped, UNLESS these are the temps I'm supposed to be getting.

Doesn't 48 degrees idle seem high to you guys, even at the given 1.4v @ 3.48Ghz considering its running on a water chilled rig?

Note: Temps are TAT temps (as you all know temp's are all over the place depending on which tool your read with. I have tried speedfan, core-temp and TAT and have heard that TAT is the most reliable.)

Thanks.

TSC

Distinguished
May 2, 2004
From what I've read, TAT seems to be ~15C higher than core-temp. Check your temps in Core-Temp, and you should be okay.

CheahaDR

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Yeah, TAT reports a much higher temp than Core-Temp or Speedfan, but that topic has been worn out. I was going with TAT because it's made by intel (although it's for the mobile chips w/out a heat spreader).

What are the temps I should really be watching? Is it CORE temp or CPU temp? Isn't CPU temp a guesstimate?

Thanks for replying, I was beginning to think that no one cared/payed attention.

8)

TSC

Distinguished
May 2, 2004
Like Featherstone said, you can try another monitoring tool. I like to use Everest. As far as I know, it's pretty accurate.

NoNeeD

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
yeah tat inflates temps there is NO WAY your chip would have been stable at 79C at that oc so if was stable i.e not pumping out errors straight away in prime95 then the temp is wrong.

G

Ya TaT ran about 15 deg hotter then other progs on my system E6400

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
This is funny because the diff from TAT vs Core Temp on my system is a mere 2c.

To the OP your way to hot. I am running my E6400@3.5ghz with a Tuniq Tower at 1.4v and Core temp reports idle of 32c while TAT reports 34c.

I would like to think that the coolitfreezone cooler would be better than a tuniq tower.
I think people are getting confused. CoreTemp and TAT, AFIAK, read from the same on-die temperature sensor. It's motherboard monitoring utilities, like Gigabyte Easytune and such, that read from a sensor on the board near the CPU socket, and show temps ~15C below those shown by CoreTemp and TAT.

EDIT - looks like I'm the one who's confused. So TAT reads temps ~15C higher on the E4300 only? That's a weird-ass glitch...

Featherstone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
This is funny because the diff from TAT vs Core Temp on my system is a mere 2c.

To the OP your way to hot. I am running my E6400@3.5ghz with a Tuniq Tower at 1.4v and Core temp reports idle of 32c while TAT reports 34c.

I would like to think that the coolitfreezone cooler would be better than a tuniq tower.

Not according to computronix sticky guide.

I suppose I shall quote it once again.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temperature-Guide-ftopict221745.html

(1) E4300 only: Temperatures reported by TAT are offset by +15c, and should be disregarded.

Do you guys not believe this guide?
If not, tell us why. Back it up with info from a trustworthy source as I have done.

CheahaDR

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
This topic has been covered well by CompuTronix in his guide, interpritation is the only road block to understanding. Right this second my core temps are 45 degrees in TAT and 24 degreed in CoreTemp Beta 0.94.

Either way isn't 45 high for idle at my give voltage and clock high?

COMPUTRONIX:
Given your apparent understanding of the issue, what would my true temp be if TAT is reading 45 degrees on a e4300?