NarN

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
Yesterday I was installing so I left my computer running and left for lunch.

After I returned an MBM5-alarm was beeping and reported that my CPU temp was 70°C. My system was running at 100%, what should be normal when installing, so that isn't the question.

What I want to know is, how will this high temperature have impact on my CPU?

Will the lifespan drop to a few months or should it be ok for a few years?

Thanks

NarN

--
NarN - Ruling the world

5to1baby1in5

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
Well, at least you didn't cook the CPU. That's a good sign. Correct me if I'm wrong, but CPUs either work or they don't work. So no real damage done? It could be you did shorten the time before the CPU fails, but you will probably upgrade to a new processor before that happens anyhow. Did your processor fan quit?

Remind me to NOT buy any CPU's on EBay for a while :)

Damn, the revolution never came.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
70C is up there. You'll probably want to get a faster fan, larger chuck of aluminium/copper, some thermal gel, or some extra pressure when clamping down the heatsink.

You should be able to drop that temp 10C, at the absolute minimum. Take off your case panels, and blow a house fan at that cpu/motherboard, to see if you need some case cooling.

NarN

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
I got myself a new fan (taisol) and now I have 60° under 100% load for a few hours.

Can I use my old fan as a case fan? If yes, I have an AOpen MIDI tower. It has room for a fan at the lower front side.

How should the airflow be? From inside to outside?

--
NarN - Ruling the world

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
I am assuming you have an AMD cpu since they produce more heat than Intel cpus typically.

I have a 1.2Ghz AMD Athlon cpu, these produce about 65W maximum, which is a lot of heat produced in a small area. If this heat is not transferred to a heatsink, and then to the air in the case, which then must be expelled from the case and replaced by more (cooler ) air from outside the case then the cpu temperature will increase substantially.

I would not be happy with my system if I could not keep temps below 50C when under 100% load. Although as someone else said any shortening in the life of a cpu is not relevant for most people, as they choose to replace the processor by upgrading, usually before the previous cpu has expired.

I have a Silverado heatsink fan, plus two 80mm case fans
one in front low down, drwaing air into the case, with the other high up at the rear exhausting hot air, plus an exhaust fan in the psu. This lot keeps cpu temp to about 45C at full load, and to about 38C when lightly loaded.

For more info about cooling see AMD web page
<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/pdf/cooling_guide.pdf" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/pdf/cooling_guide.pdf</A>

The same principles apply for Intel (except I think for Pentium 4 )and other makes of cpu, they just require less effective cooling since they produce less heat

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Ah, I love my Silverado too. I get about the same temps. The highest I've ever seen was 48C, but it rarely goes over 45 at full load.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.