Is motherboard P8P67 LE 80°C temperature normal

Rotaken

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hi, I'm using Piriform Speccy and it shows my P8P67 LE temperatures rising to 80°C when in desktop use what seems pretty high to me. As far as I know I haven't done any modifications (overclocking, etc) to my computer. So my question is: is that normal and if not what should I do? CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 38 °C
RAM: 4,00 Gt Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 LE (LGA1155) 80 °C
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 45 °C
Hard Drives: 977GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C

Rotaken

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Cooler is what came with the case (SonataIII): 1 rear 120mm Tricool fan (standard) with 3-speed control to balance quiet with cooling
- 1 middle 120mm case fan (optional) <-from antecs site. I'm not sure if the middle casefan is installed since I didn't build the PC.
And Taskmanager shows (when in desktop) that I'm using 1-7%.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
you should be able to change a BIOS setting that is restricting the amount of use out of your fans. this could be why it is running so hot. Once you have the usage turned up, see what your temps are. If they are still high, like, around 75c-80c+, the mobo is probably defected. I can't see why a mobo would run so hot even under full load.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
It's not a perfect program, but download SpeedFan 4.44 and run it to see at what speed your fans are running and to double check your temps:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

I would also triple check temps using RealTemp 3.60 as well:

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Basically, run more than one temp monitoring program and compare readings.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
another check is a "touch check". If everything is running and full speed, get close to the mobo and see if it is throwing a lot of heat. every now and then the temp readings are a little whacky, and it could be a bad temp monitor on the mobo giving a false reading. ive seen it before, and could save you some money returning an otherwise perfectly good mobo. but like vollman said, "check all connections and use multiple temp monitoring programs".

Rotaken

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you all. All of those programs got the same readings but then I entered the bios and it seems that for some reason programs are reading fahrenheit for motherboard and celcius for rest of the parts.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
haha, 80f is perfectly fine then (appr. 27c). If you can't fix the unit on the temp readings, use this formula to manually check if you are concerned:

Degree(f) - 32 X (5/9) = Degree(c)
Degree(c) X (9/5) + 32 = Degree(f)

hotmobo

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
(sorry for re-posting from another thread)

Speccy reads my motherboard around 80ish Celsius when ASUS (P8P67 LE - LGA1155) BIOS reads at a constant 30 Celsius...

per recommended HW Monitor also reads it the same as Speccy.

Are Speccy and HW Monitor reading the MB temp in Fahrenheit or are they accurate in reading the Celsius temp. of my supposedly overheating (bottom tiered p8p67) ASUS MB? i suspect the latter.

Here's a screen capture of Speccy's data:

http://i54.tinypic.com/30avrfb.png

hotmobo

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
to followup... I just called ASUS customer service...

they told me to open my case to check the temperature of my MB... if around 80c, they said i'd easily be able to feel the heat...

yet putting my hand near the MB, the vicinity felt nice and cool like a Klondike Bar...

so i guess the reading from HW Monitor (screen capture: http://i55.tinypic.com/21b8403.png ) must be detecting Fahrenheit instead of Celsius...

if so, how can i remedy this?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
CPUID HW Monitor displays both 'C and ('F). I am not familiar with the other program that you are using. I use Real Temp and SpeedFan and can help you with those if you want to download them.

hotmobo

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

I downloaded Real Temp and SpeedFan. Here are the screen captures:

http://i52.tinypic.com/x4n5et.png

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Real Temp:

Go to Settings tab -> check 'F/'C box near the bottom right of the frame

SpeedFan:

Configure -> select Fahrenheit button at bottom left of screen

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
No worries: I feel dumb most of the time lol

Honestly, I watch core temps mainly and I am not sure about the other temps. But I think that it is a good guess that system is the mobo temp. Just don't hold me to that. :)

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
From the website:

"There are several ways to label available readings (temperatures, voltages, fan speeds). The first source should be the BIOS. Enter BIOS at boot, write down labels and readings and compare them to those reported by SpeedFan. You can use manufacturer's custom hardware monitors to match readings too. SpeedFan strictly adheres to available datasheets for each sensor chip. Please remember that hardware monitors chips have some pins (small connectors) that should be connected to some additional hardware (temperature probes, thermistors or thermocouples) in order to be able to read temperatures. Only a few hardware monitor chips do label their connectors with "CPU", "System" and the like. Most of them use labels like "Temp1", "Local" or "Remote". Hardware manufacturers connect available pins to different temperature sensors basically according to the physical placement of components on the motherboard. This means that the same chip, an ITE IT8712F, for example, might be connected to a sensor diode measuring CPU temperature on Temp2 and, on a different hardware, it might be connected on Temp1. If you have a "Local" sensor and a "Remote" labeled one, this usually means that "Local" is the temperature of the monitor chip itself and "Remote" is the temperature read from a "remote" probe. When you have properly identified which temperature sensor is which, try to lower the speed of each fan and look at reported speed and temperatures. This way you can match PWM controls (speeds) with fans. Please, note that if you do not allow SpeedFan to change any fan speed and set all the speeds too low, then SpeedFan won't be able to avoid overheating."

Sounds like everyone has to figure it out for their specific mobo lol

hotmobo

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
your last post made my little head explode :pt1cable: ... but much appreciated nonetheless!

i finally found the answer after downloading 5 different temp monitoring software <panting>...

Everest Ultimate Edition turned out to be the one that nailed the coffin for my case by clearly displaying my actual "Motherboard" temperatures in C & F for retards like myself

true to my tradition of screen capturing, here's the one for Everest:

http://i56.tinypic.com/35i83gx.png

the trial version can be downloaded here if anyone is interested:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/EVEREST-Ultimate-Edition.shtml

missviv2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Thank you all for this thread! I was putting together a system for my mom using an ASUS P8P67 LE MB and was getting the same 80° C readings. I did as suggested and all is good! Thank you again!