Sign in with
Your question

Mainboard topping 98°

Last response: in Motherboards
August 27, 2011 2:17:06 PM

Hi everyone.

Please help. I'd greatly appreciate any help with this problem, because I'd really like to save this Pc from dying.
The mainboard temperature on my Pc is topping 98°, even after thermal paste removal and new application. :( 
I turned off the PC and let it sit for 4 hours and the temperature only went down 3°. So, I left the PC off overnight. Then approximately 10-15 minutes after I first started the PC, the mainboard was already at 62°. My Pc is not overclocked, but my GTX 560 ti so is stock overclocked at 950 MHz. So, just to be sure, I removed the card and the temps were still too high. This PC is built into a mid sized tower. I have only 3 fans. 1 fan for the CPU cooler. I think it is 120mm(ca. 5inches),1 fan in the back at 120mm(ca.5inches) and 1 very small fan 60mm(ca.2.5inches) attached to the mainboard below the CPU area. The fans were approx. at 50%. The fan speeds are 1182 RPM, 2052 RPM, and 948 RPM. I'm still kind of new here. So, I hope I put enough information. I'm not sure that the heat is coming directly from the mainboard or if it is because of build up. When I opened the case, I noticed that most of the heat was between the PSU(also too hot) and CPU. I don't know if that is relevant.
I did forget something. I don't know exactly when the problem began, but I do know it was before the graphic card was changed. I installed Sisoft Sandra Lite shortly before I changed the graphic card. So, the high temperature problem was already present, when I first used the program. I briefly thought the problem was gone after I changed the thermal paste, only because I looked at the wrong numbers. When I ran the program again approx. 10-12 days later, I realised that I looked at the wrong numbers. I haven't detected any other problems(yet), because the system was still running, no errors were reported and there hasn't been any crashing. If I hadn't installed Sisoft Sandra, I wouldn't have known there was a problem. I don't understand why the CPU temperatures are almost always between 47-57° and the mainboard is almost always between 85°- 98°. I also don't understand why the PC didn't shut itself down when it began. I know I use my computer a lot, and put a lot of stress on it, but shouldn't this PC be able to handle that? Also, because the temperatures are so high, should I be expecting some kind of physical hardware damage to the mainboard?I hope. It's not too late to fix this problem. I will be checking back throughout the day to check for replies. Again, I'd greatly appreciate some help.

Here are my PC specifications.

Acer Aspire M7720 mid sized desktop case(approx.18 months old)

Intel i7 920 Stock clock 4 x 2.66GHz
12 GB DDR3 Ram (2GB x 6)
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
1 Label flash DVD-RW
Nvidia GTX 285 was replaced with Gigabyte GTX 560 ti so with stock oc @950 MHz
Front panel media control center
multi-in-one card reader
USB wireless lan device
7.1 surround audio
Bose Companion5 - 2.1 speakers
Logitech g500 gaming mouse
Logitech g11 gaming keyboard
Amilo sl 3230t monitor 58.4cm (23 inch)
PSU 750w Delta PS2 EX series GPS-750AB A

More about : mainboard topping

August 27, 2011 2:59:55 PM

Sorry, I forgot the chipset.
Intel X58+ICH10R
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2011 4:05:07 PM

Are we talking about Celcius or Fahrenheit??

If it's F, that's a good temp. If it's Celcius, then it's likely a false reading.

If your cpu and gpu temps are within acceptable specs, there's no way your motherboard can be that much hotter.

Have you tried using another temp monitoring program to compare?

Related resources
August 27, 2011 6:11:50 PM

Not even if my PSU is overloaded?
I'll double check that. I thought it was Celcius. Now I'm not sure. I'll be back in a couple of minutes. I'll have to boot up and check it again. I'm on another PC right now. Thank you for responding.
August 27, 2011 6:28:51 PM

It's definitely celcius, but you may be right about the temps being off. I just got 83° for the mainboard, 40° for the processor and 22° for the secondary processor sensor, and this Pc was turned off for over 7 hours, or is it possible for the temps to still be that high after being off for that long. I guess I'll have to install another program to check the temps again and be sure, because I haven't done that yet.
August 27, 2011 8:10:19 PM

Hi. I ran into a snag. Windows is blocking me from installing Speedfan. Is there a reliable program that I can use to double check these MB temps?
August 28, 2011 6:45:07 PM

Thank you for your reply. I finally got around the windows blockade and speedfan is now working. Speedfan is also reporting that the mainboard temperature is too high(98°), the other temperatures are normal, and the fans are functioning. The numbers in Sisoft and Speedfan are almost all the same. Some vary by 1 or 2°. I still don't know what's causing the high temps, and why it happens so fast. Does anyone know where that particular sensor is placed on the mainboard, or is it in different places on different mainboards? Maybe I could check that specific spot to see if that spot is really that hot, or if there is damage in that area. It's probably a long shot, but I had to ask.
August 29, 2011 2:27:07 AM

HI everyone.

This is the mainboard that I have. Anyway, I know my description wasn't so great before. So I thought this would help. The Psu is directly above the mainboard on the left. The hard drive case, card reader, media center display panel, and dvd-rw are to the right. The wires from the PSU are between the right side of the board and the hard drive case, and the graphic card sits under the tiny cooling fan in the lower slot.Again, I'll be checking in from time to time, and I'd greatly appreciate any help in resolving this situation.
!