Best AM3 motherboard for around £60?

G

I am upgrading my computer and need a motherboard for around £60 that takes 4 memory chips, has at least 2 1xPCI card sockets plus 2 16xPCI graphics card sockets (for future Crossfire or whatever) and needs to have an AM3 socket to take a 125w Phenom 2 X^ six core processor. Have looked at the MSI 890U-G55 but last one I got was duff and had to send it back but it looks like a good board if you can get a working one. Anyone have any suggestions otherwise or comments on the MSI board?

G

Hmm well I may go to this one as someone mentioned above: Gigabyte Ga-870a-UD3. Its got everything I need and its only £20 more which isnt bad, couldnt afford more than this though at the moment. And the main thing as well is that from the Newegg reviews Ive read it sounds to be reliable which the MSI board I got was not (someone I read quoted a 50% chance of getting a dud MSI 890U-G55 board and I can believe it now).

£20 more isnt much when you consider Ive spent more than £35 already messing around - first £15 getting a computer bloke to check out my computer (he said it was probably the MSI 890U-G55 motherboard that was bust), then sending the motherboard back but the supplier who said that there was nothing wrong with it. They said they had sent it to MSI and they had checked it which I believe now was a downright lie because they had an answer only 2 working days after I sent it to them (JSPC Computer Services in Sussex - dont touch them with a bargepole!). They sent it back to me saying it must be the processor that was faulty. So I then sent the processor back and got another one only to get exactly the same problem - no boot up. Now I strongly beleive it was the motherboard all along and Im getting my money back from JSPC.

The problem was that I upgraded my motherboard, processor and ram all together and the computer failed to boot up. Drive lights came on, fans started, but nothing came on the monitor and no action after that. Ive read this could be a motherboard, processor or power problem but its been a nightmare trying to find out what it was. Once I get this new motherboard that will hopefully resolve the issue once and for all!

ram1009

Distinguished
The only way to diagnose problems like yours (outside of a lab, that is) is to replace new or questionable items with known good ones. Sending items back without first determining their status will almost always result in the supplier telling you their item was good and you can't prove otherwise.