Marvell 6Gbs - P8P67 Deæuxe

TheYan

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I've connect a hard drive and a disk drive to these two 6gbs ports on motherboard of Marvell and it does recognize those two drives in bios. But in Windows I can't see them as I do see other drives in other 6gbs sata ports. Why can't I see those connected to Marvell ports in explorer?

Thanks

Windows doesn't install the Marvell drivers automatically. You have to do a manual driver install for them. Once you do that, you should be able to see the drives. If they are new, you'll need to format them.

Note that the Marvell controller doesn't like optical (CD/DVD/Blu-ray) drives -- it's only for hard drives or SSDs. If you have an optical connected to it, move it to the Intel SATA3 6Gbps controller instead.

TheYan

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
No it isn't 6gbs sata III drive that is in there and I did install drivers from the motherboard support CD. Could the problem be that they aren't sata 3? Although other sata 2 work fine on non Marvell sata 3.

rollaballinc

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
theres the problem .... your not using a sata 3 drive on the sata 3 port .... if your using a sata 2 drive 3.0gb/s, use a 3gb/s sata 2 slot. Sata 3 spots are only made to run sata 3 drives.

rollaballinc

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
the whole point is that you do not need to run Sata 2 drive on Sata 3 slot .... You need to run SATA 2 drive in a SATA 2 slot and SATA 3 drive in a SATA 3 slot. The tech is new and you could risk damaging the harddrives and or SATA 3 Ports on the board

The SATA spec is fully backward-compatible. If you plug a SATA2 drive into a SATA3 port it will still work fine.

Yan:
It's possible you have to do something in the Marvell BIOS before the drive will work in Windows. I've never set one of those up before, so I don't know for sure.

Consult your mainboard manual to see if there's something about this.

TheYan

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
unfortunately I have no idea how to set it up, if you can help, here's what's in the manual:
http://img834.imageshack.us/f/imag0100e.jpg/

Try using Ctrl-M to go into the Marvell BIOS during boot. You may have to create a one-drive array and then format the drive in there before Windows will recognize it.

Quite a few years ago I had an Abit mainboard with a RAID controller that you had to do that before Windows could do anything with the drive. Maybe it's the same with yours.

Edit: One suggestion I have -- try asking this question on the ASUS forum site. They will have more users with experience with that particular mainboard and the Marvell controller.