HELP! ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 Bios does not detect optical drives, HDD´s

G

So, I´m a bit of a noob here but I ve tried as much as I could before posting here, including reading many of the posts around. So bear with me and help if you can please.

New PC to be built with the Asus P6T Deluxe v2, booting it up bios runs fine but does not detect any SATA devices in my system:

Optical: Plextor PX-B940SA, Sata
SSD: 2.5" 120GB SATA II vertex turbo series, ocz technologies
HDD: Western Digital, 2TB, sata, 64 mb cache,
RAM: Kingston, in the compatibility list and fully detected

I then tried a Plextor PX-130A which has an IDE conexion and it was detected but that was the end of it. I tried to run the Windows 7 disc with it but since no HDD or SDD are detected I can not install anything.

In adition no usb flash drives for flashing the bios were detected (although thankfully the keyboard was), so I burned the latest bios version in a CD and flashed the bios from the old plextor 130A which is about teh only thing I have managed to detect...

I have tried playing with most of the bios options including the SATA and USB ones to no avail... So here I am completely puzzled as I can not do anything with this.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or what solutions could there be for this problem?

Thanks in advance!

PS: this is my first experience building my own PC and I am really bummed by this. Prior to this P6T mobo I tried a Rampage III and it was faulty (took us 3 days of troubleshooting) so I am getting really depressed... help!

G

Ok. I am a noob, but not that noob... All cables were connected, both data and power, to their rights places.

I would disconnect all of the SATA devices and only use the hard disk drive to troubleshoot with. Connect the hard disk drive's SATA data cable to each SATA port in turn to see if gets recognized during the BIOS power on self test.

If the hard disk drive is recognized, add the SSD along with the hard didsk drive and see if it is also recognized during the power on self test.

If the SSD and hard disk drive are both recognized during power on self test then add the optical drive and see if that is recognized.

G

Thanks for the advice.

I just did as suggested and the HDD was not recognized in any of the 6 SATA ports. Is there any jumper or option in the BIOS I need to tweak to make the SATA ports work? It´s like if they were completely dead.

G

Yes I have, last time a few moments ago actually.

After that i tend to disable de express gate as it is annoying seeing it every one of the 3000+ times I have had to reboot the bios so far :sarcastic:

G

Sorry, RMA?

G

Ah!, I think I was to quick. I managed to take it to the shop and have a replacement this morning.

I have tried the new one a few moments ago and.... same result. No sata device has been recognized..... this seems to be a design flaw in the mother board not a faulty issue in a particular one. Probably something to do with the data controllers, Marvel or whatever.

Viajero_69

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
So here comes an update on my own story, hopefully bringing this to a close!

As it turned out the mother board was perfectly allright. What was faulty were my 3 sata devices... all 3 of them.

As Sherlock Holmes once said, once all the impossible has been ruled out, what remains, however unlikely, must be the truth... I never really tested all 3 sata devices because I could not believe all 3 could be faulty at the same time... as it turns out they are all indeed faulty. I have just tested them one by one in a colleagues rig that is fully functioning. We have just hooked up my HDD, the SSD and the optical drive one by one and see if this other rig detected them, and it did not.

The reason for this (hindsight is a great thing) could possibly be that they had been used in another board prior to this one (the rampage III I mentioned in my opening post). That board had a short and that might have affected the sata ports and/or the sata devices somehow, or not.