Your question

Question concerning Intel® Stoughton G965 motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Cases
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
March 3, 2008 3:59:33 PM

Ok I'm not 100% sure on whether this should be posted in the motherboard section or the case section since it's actually a two fold question concerning both the motherboard and the case. Here are the details as of now.

I bought my wife a Gateway GM5420 Desktop Computer about a year or so ago from Bestbuy because she wanted to play Vanguard with me and my brother. So we got the computer and I threw in a Nvidia 7950GT card and all was well until last weekend.

The weekend before last I went out and got her two Gateway FPD1976W 19" LCD monitors so she could reclaim some room on her desk because the CRT's just weren't cutting it any longer and I was getting tired of looking at them.

This is when the my issue started and my questions begin. One of her monitors will flicker like mad and it's driving her batty. At first I thought it might be a bad monitor so I switched the two out and the one that was running rock solid is now flickering and the one that was flickering is now running rock solid which leads me to belive that it's a video card issue. Please correct me if you might know something that I do not.

So I'm not looking to get her a new graphics card. I've been looking at the new 9600GT for her. Now I went and looked up the motherboard that the gateway uses and it's an Intel (Stoughton) G965 Motherboard. Which has One PCI Express ×16 slot. So I figure cool that will work.

I then notice her power supply is only a 300 watter. That won't do at all. So I start thinking ok I'll just get her a new PSU and new graphics card. Then I start thinking about the case that the gateway uses and I know it's too small. So now I'm at the point to where I have to get her a new PSU, graphics card, and a new case. She wants an Antec 900 gaming case for her case. Now I know the Intel (Stoughton) G965 Motherboard is M-ATX and I see that the Antec 900 supports M-ATX as well so no problems there.

My real concern is whether or not the 9600GT will work with the Intel (Stoughton) G965 Motherboard the ram slots look mighty close to the X16 slot. So I was wondering if anyone might have any experience with this motherboard and whether or not it's possible or if I should just go ahead and order her another motherboard while I'm at it.

This is the trouble I get into by letting her buy a gateway and not waiting for me to build her a computer like mine and my brother.

More about : question intel stoughton g965 motherboard

March 3, 2008 5:43:35 PM

Stewartwi I just can't beleave you were able to get the 7950 gt to work with a 300 ps,I had bfg 7950 gt and I beleave the card has to have at least 22 to 24 amp on 12 volt line,but way to go!

let me ask one thing is she a good cook,washes you shirt and pants etc you know .

if your going to buy antec 900 which is a very good case,1 get her a good ps,2 the 7950 gt should be ok for now,3 and a good motherboard ,and if you do that what cpu and ram do you have,it those matter when you buy new parts.

build it and she will be happy!hope this helps you
March 3, 2008 6:37:17 PM

major53 said:
Stewartwi I just can't beleave you were able to get the 7950 gt to work with a 300 ps,I had bfg 7950 gt and I beleave the card has to have at least 22 to 24 amp on 12 volt line,but way to go!

let me ask one thing is she a good cook,washes you shirt and pants etc you know .

if your going to buy antec 900 which is a very good case,1 get her a good ps,2 the 7950 gt should be ok for now,3 and a good motherboard ,and if you do that what cpu and ram do you have,it those matter when you buy new parts.

build it and she will be happy!hope this helps you

lol yes she's a great wife and mother and gamer. hehe She's a great catch in my opinion. But I am partial after all.

I actually have some nice Corsair ram that I bought when I was RMAing my Corsair 9136 ram back to them. As far as the PSU is concerned and running the 7950GT I just put the card in and plugged her up. Hell, I could be wrong about the 300 watt PSU but that's what Gateway says is in there. I'll go home and check for myself tonight and post back on here if it's a different wattage.

If I do end up having to buy a new mobo for her I'll either reuse her CPU or give her my E6600 and buy myself a Q6600. :-) Then again I suppose I could give her my Evga 680I and E6600 and buy myself something new. Although that would probably get me in trouble. lol

She just really hates the screen flickering on her like that and I've never had any issues with my LCD so I'm at a lost for what it could be. Aside from the video card going out. I mean I switched monitors on the back of the card and the one that wasn't flickering is flickering and the one that was isn't now.

I wish I had another video card to test in her system but my 8800GTX won't fit into her case. I suppose I could pull the motherboard and try it all outside the case. But if I'm right about her PSU I know it won't push the 8800GTX for long. I'm really tempted to just buy her a new board and and the other stuff and just build her PC myself.

I'll post later if I find out the PSU is higher then the quoted 300 one on their site.

Thanks for the reply.
Related resources
March 3, 2008 6:52:14 PM

Stewartwi sense she is a good mother and wife and gammer,don't you want to give her a fighting chance against you and your brother when your playing.

I would give her your parts sense you know they work and upgrade yourself.

also you could pull your video and power supply just to check out the flickering and it does sound like video card causing flickering.lol
March 3, 2008 6:59:36 PM

She only plays world of warcraft. So it's not like she needs a super computer for it but I do want her to have good stuff. :-) I'll pull my stuff and check it this weekend when I'm off work.

I also failed to mention because I'm dumb like that. But she's been having issues with her video adapter stopping while gaming. Then it will recover on it's own. So I'm guessing another clue towards it being the cause of it all. I really just want to replace the video card and go from there but I don't want to get her a crappy card when I can get her something new you know.

Thanks for the reply about to get off work now so I'll be back on laters.
March 3, 2008 9:44:43 PM

Thanks man all she really plays is WOW so that should work just fine. :-) thanks for all the help.