I can´t get the CPU heat down

htredneck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
The title says it all.
Idle about 45 C
Load about 58 C
No overclocking

I have changed to the P5B recently and the CPU I will be changing in July. On my old board (P5GD2 Deluxe) with this same CPU the temps were 38 idle and 50 C full load. While these aren´t dangerous temps, they don´t seem normal nor is it a place where I want to start overclocking.

Here is what I have tried:
Reseating, lapping, cleaning and Artic Silver.
Updating to latest BIOS
Taking sides off of case (I have 2 120 fans)

The system runs very stable but I can´t figure it out. Is it this board, the chipset or some voltage setting (that I don´t understand) ?

I have done many Google searches but I am out of ideas.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
On my (crap) board, the northbridge heatsink sits right under the cpu (nearly touching the cpu heatsink).

It (northbridge cooler) gets hot enough to fry an egg on (honestly, way too hot to touch!) which i'm sure is the reason for my higher than average cpu temps.

Do you think it could be other components in your system?

htredneck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I had all these components on the P5GD2 Deluxe so this leads me to believe that it must be something with the P5B. The heat sink on the northbridge is barely warm. Could this mean that it is not removing the heat well enough? Could this be keeping the CPU temps high?

The motherboard temp is good (better then P5GD2 Deluxe). It is staying between 32 C and 36 C. I don´t think it is the program I use to monitor temps (PC Probe II) as it reads the same as BIOS.

I'm open to ideas.