computer don´t even post.HELP!!!!

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
very strange thing. my friend´s computer, does not even start. when you press the button to start, it appears to try to start, even the cpu cooler starts, but in less then a second, all stops and all we see is silence, no beeps, no image in the monitor, no light of computer on, no hdd light, no fans, no anything.

No problem of psu, cause i´ve probed it in my computer. Can a mobo fry on any case?? could it be a problem in the capacitors of the mobo?? If the processor is broken, fried or anything, is this enough for the system not to start??if there would be something wrong with the cpu, would the system start and then the beeps telling you the cpu is wrong or are there situation in which because of the cpu, the system don´t even post the first image of cpu, ram testing and so on????

THANKS!!!

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
we´ve tried also a clear cmos but the problem is still there. i think it´s the mobo. but, do you know if it was the problem the cpu, at least mobo should post and then beep doesn´t it??? but in this case there are no beeps at all, and all is correctly plugged in. I´ve mounted a lot of computers to friends, but this is a new thing i had never seen.

so, no psu problem, no ram possible problem, cause i´ve probed mines. all correctly plugged,clear cmos done, but we still get the same. Can a cpu fry in a way that mobo would not even post??not even to the first beep??

You don't list your system specs, so I may be wrong. I had the exact same problem. My rig ran great for 3 months, then suddenly it shut off and would not boot. When I reset my psu then hit the power button on the case, all fans spin up for a brief moment then shut down. Subsequent pushes of the power button do nothing unless I reset the psu first.

I traced it down to my vid card. Whenever I'd remove the power from my vid card or remove the card completey I can boot fine. Of course I have no video and have to run headless by using remote desktop from my other pc to get in.

I was actually surprised it will boot without a vid card. I thought the minimum hardware to post was cpu, memory, and video. I guess a lot of people run headless now so they allow posting without a vid card????

Anyhow, if you have a PCI-E vid card, try removing the power from it or removing the card completely.

Note: I've been running headless for two weeks now. Newegg rma'd my vid card and I should have it tomorrow. :)

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
sorry for the specs.

sempron 3100+
gigabyte G8ns skt 754
geil value ram 512
antec psu 400W
3 seagate 120,80,250 gb
ati radeon 9600 xt
a cpu cooler gigabyte.

so,i´ve tried taking out de vid card, but i still have the same problem.i´ve known that when the computer shutted down, my friend was ocing, and according to what he can remember, the chipset voltage was at 0.3v over the normal,this means top voltage for the chipset in this mobo. he was doing 1.6v for this sempron, but indeed, i have the same cpu and mobo,i know it´s limitations, and this mobo supports 1.7v.so, do you think it´s a mobo problem?maybe capacitors fried?without cpu, at least, mobo and coolers should start, but this doesn´t happen. i´m going to rma it as soon as possible. I don´t think the problem can be solved. should be a hardware failure problem.

thanks to all for the help!!.have a nice day.