EndZone

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
I am currently building a new computer and everything has gone great until now. When I start the computer and enter BIOS in order to change settings like time, temperature monitoring etc, I can´t save them to CMOS. When I choose "Exit and save" I get the choice to either go for "Y" or "N" as normal. However, when I try to hit enter in order to save, the computer freezes and I can´t do anything. When I reboot the comp I get the message "Warning! CPU has changed..." and some more text saying that I should remember to save the settings to CMOS before exit - well...if I could I would!

Could this be because of the fact that I´m using a Abit AG8 motherboard with a BIOS version dated to 07/07/2004? Perhaps it wasn´t made for the Pentium 3.2 GHz 775 socket at that time, and perhaps it will work if I just download a newer version of BIOS? What do you experts think, I really need your help and your opinions about this problem.

Thanks!

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
1) What board do you have?

2) You could try reseting the CMOS. Unplug the computer from the wall outlet. Short the CMOS (there us usually a jumpter). Put the jumper back to its original postion. Try modifying ur BIOS again.

3) Some motherboard mfg's have gone back to using a jumper to prevent writing to CMOS. This is to prevent viruses from destroying the CMOS and hence ur mobo, etc.

4) Did you read your manual?

The loving are the daring!

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
Perhaps new battery needed?

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

EndZone

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
Well, my motherboard is an Abit AG8, perhaps you need some more info? I´ve read the manual, but perhaps I´ll have to do it again :)
I´ve thought about a possible battery issue, but I thought it would be strange to have an empty battery when the motherboard was just recently manufactured? It´s brand new, so you would think that the battery should be new as well. Perhaps I´ll have to check it anyway. I´ve tried to clear CMOS, but nothing happened.

I´ll now install the latest drivers and then have a go at it. If it doesn´t solve the problem, I´ll have to have another look in the manual. Thanks guys!

EndZone

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
Ok, no one managed to find the correct answer, so I´ll post the solution here:

The solution was to install the latest version of BIOS. Perhaps this solution may help someone sometime somewhere with the same kind of problem as I had, who knows? :)

May this thread rest in peace until then...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by EndZone on 04/15/05 10:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>