300£ Mobo + GPU + CPU

G

What I want to do is to first settle on a motherboard, than work from there. I will buy the 3 things together (+ram and powersupply) but I need to find like a starting position to work from.
I dont want to compromise on the motherboard to much. I am more willing to compromise in the CPU now, and the upgrade CPU later.
I will give a few idears on both Mobo, GPU and CPU. The most expensive are perhaps not realistic cos of the huge compromises I need to make to fit the budget. Price are given in aprox £ where 10danish =1£

Motherboards:
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 140£
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 90£
ASUS P8Z77-V LX 75£

GPU:
Radeon HD 7870 140£
ASUS HD7770 90£

CPU:
Core i5 I5-3570 6 MB 150£
Core i5 I5-3350P 6 MB 120£
Core i3 I3-2120 3 MB 85£

From those parts mentioner, or those that you suggest as alternative, I would like to end on 300£. Then I have money for 16GB ram and a new powersupply. Ofc I can buff my budget a little, but plz respect I cannot just buy 'the best'.
My parts does not need to be those listed above, it is just that I need to start somewhere.
My first thought was to compromise heavily on then CPU, and buy a better one as my first future upgrade. is this wise?

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 2 months.

Budget Range: 300£ ca. for Mobo, GPU and CPU.
I have money set aside for Ram and new powersuply, will reuse other things like tower/case, harddisk (for now) and optic drive.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, graphic work, -----> online-TV and normal steaming and internet use.

Do you need to buy OS: Not sure, probably have to. I have old XP now.

Parts Preferences: Prefer Intel CPU

Overclocking: Not planed but who knows what can happen if an angel drops by.

Your Monitor Resolution: Two, one new 1920x1080 and one old VGA.

Ty all
Steffen

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Steffen,

I own (my first build, Jun 2012) the ASRock Z77 Ext 4 and i5 3570k. They are a GREAT combination. That's what I suggest. Here's why I did it and suggest it:

1. Best gaming performance for the price
2. Will provide 3-5 years of solid gaming
3. Coupled with the HD 7770 (weak link of this system) will provide you with good gaming performance

I reused a HD 6850 and I love my system !! It's able to play all my games very well at 1920 x 1080. I like the fact I can overclock the CPU and GPU - but to date have had no need.

If you could afford a HD 7850 or HD 7870 you woud have an excellent gaming system. The HD 8850 will be release soon and will drive the cost of the 7850/7870 down soon (next 1-3 months). If you can wait then this will be the ideal solution.

Good Luck !!

Sumukh_Bhagat

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
This is the Best you can get for that much
You don't need i5 3570k with Z77 until you'll OC High or play CPU intensive games\Software
Even i5 3470 will handle it great
Games more depend on GPU. So here's a GTX 650 Ti.
It lies below 7850

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£140.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£45.30 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card (£117.14 @ Aria PC)
Total: £303.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

G

First, I am not in panic, I am willing/planing to wait a few months.

So non of you would recomand to cut the CPU-budget in half going for i3 insted of i5. You both agree on i5 (with wariation).

As we speak the GTX 650 in only a little cheaper than HD 7850. And I can wait for a few months for price to go down.

Sumuk_Bhagat, I am not rely comfterble with a Mobo in that pricelevel, I get the plastic-weaklink-fealing. Ofc I could be wrong, this is a jungle. Maby I should add that my PC is used 16-18 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What do you say to this?
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 90
CPU: Core i5 I5-3350P 6 MB (Intel Boxed) 120
GPU: Radeon HD 7870 140
Total now, hopefully lower in a few months 350

It's a little over budget, but not impossible, but it leaves me less for the next upgrade, or more time untill i can afford.

G

So Odiervr, you recomend going for the right Mobo and CPU from the begining, and then compromise on the GPU. The GPU will be the weakest link for now, but the first thing to upgrade.

I am starting to get the fealing that compromising on the CPU is not a good idear.
CPU: Core i5 I5-3570K 6 MB (Intel Boxed) Ca. 160£
That is half my budget more or less, but I guess I can eat boiled patatos for some time,,, hehe.
I will need a Mobo to fit to that CPU, but I don't need to pay like 120-120£ you guys say, correct? I remember from my earlier builds, that Mobo was just as, or more expensive than CPU, that is why I am afraid of the Mobo you guys list. Things must have things changed I guess.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Steffen,

Correct. A very good CPU (3570k) and Mobo (ASRock Z77 Ext 4) from the beginning. Then upgrade GPU when able. I have just this pair and it's a great fit. I did add a Cooler Master 212 for cooling the CPU. It's much quieter than the stock fan included with the 3570k, but not required if not overclocking - just quieter at this stage. Also, be aware it is a very large cooler (very tall).

3570k and ASRock Z77 will allow maximum flexiblity in the future, while sacrificing current capability (the 7770 is a good GPU, but not VERY good or great).

The Mobo will be about 1/2 the cost of the CPU. I have had no problems at all with my mobo. While not expensive, it's been very reliable and comes with a great graphic BIOS - controlled by a mouse and keyboard.

Very simple to use.

Good Luck !!

G

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: i5 3570K
GPU: ASUS HD7770

Those comes to a total of ca 330£ (3.300kr) just a little over budget, but realistic.
Now I just need to keep my eyes open for a nice licky discount withing the next couple of months, or a pricedrop to that HD7770.

Thanks guys
Steffen